Sanitary fittings

Discussion of B3 Brewing Sculptures. How to best use your B3 brewing system, what the options are like, anything to do with the systems.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Sanitary fittings

Postby Donk » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:56 am

B3 offers all the sanitary fittings to retrofit current quick brass fittings for the scultpures. Some of them are threaded for the direct connections to the kettles and pumps and the others are barrb fittings for the hoses. I was thinking about doing this mith my 2050. Any body out there do this before? I am looking for some pros and cons. I have about 6 months of down time and would like to do some small upgrades on the sculpture.
Scultpure: B3-2050

Fermenting:
F1 - American IPA
F2 - Vienna

On Tap: Just a Pale Ale
Donk
Pitcher (300 posts)

Re: Sanitary fittings

Postby whiteManCanHop » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:49 am

imo, sanitary fittings are pretty pointless if you still have threaded pieces in your brewery. kinda defeats the purpose doesnt it?
whiteManCanHop
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby rplace » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:32 pm

whiteManCanHop wrote:imo, sanitary fittings are pretty pointless if you still have threaded pieces in your brewery. kinda defeats the purpose doesnt it?

Why is that? They are used in the brewing and dairy industry.
rplace
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby P-J » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:01 am

rplace wrote:
whiteManCanHop wrote:imo, sanitary fittings are pretty pointless if you still have threaded pieces in your brewery. kinda defeats the purpose doesnt it?

Why is that? They are used in the brewing and dairy industry.

In the dairy application all of the fittings are assembled by welding or by using face seals. The pieces are not threaded together so that the threads are exposed to the fluid path.
P-J
P-J
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby whiteManCanHop » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:32 am

what pj said.

99% of home breweries ive seen with sanitary fittings have them threaded into all their equipment. i just dont get it... other than the 'cool factor'.
whiteManCanHop
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby fxdwg3 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:18 am

I went with the SS quick connects.
Love 'em. 8)
fxdwg3
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby TG » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:17 am

Any thoughts on ball-vlaves vs butterfly valves?
TG
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby P-J » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:04 pm

TG wrote:Any thoughts on ball-vlaves vs butterfly valves?

Yes..
The common "single piece" ball valve can trap liquid within the seal area of the valve. This could harbor an infection. It is nearly impossible to clean without taking extrordinary measures. A 3 piece ball valve can easily be taken apart for cleaning. A butterfly valve can also be taken apart for cleaning and does not have a complex internal mechanism. (Note: I cannot find a 1/2" valve of this type on B3.)

Hope this helps..
P-J
P-J
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby usmcruz » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:01 pm

P-J wrote:
TG wrote:Any thoughts on ball-vlaves vs butterfly valves?

Yes..
The common "single piece" ball valve can trap liquid within the seal area of the valve. This could harbor an infection. It is nearly impossible to clean without taking extrordinary measures.

Id like to backup this statement, because regular ball valves do trap wort. Even after running cleaner and sanitizer through my ghetto fabulous system after a brew one time, and then brewing a month later, my ball valve managed to harbor the wort(the cleaner and sanizter never got to the nasties) and turned sour. Ever since then, I went with a 3 piece blichmann, and after that no problems.
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby TG » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:57 pm

So you take them apart after every brew session?
TIA, Tom
TG
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby ricand » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:53 am

Yikes.. I have the regular style ball valve, and clean it every time. Since it on my BK I just assumed it would sterilize during the boil.
Copper Cat Brewing
On Tap: Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout/ Memory Lapse Pale Ale US05/ None
Primary: MFC Biergarten Pilsener
Secondary: Memory Lapse Pale Ale (Munton Gold Yeast)
Lagering: None
Kegged: Dennys BVIP/Oatmeal Stout Clone
ricand
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Donk » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:38 pm

Definately not interested because of "status or cool points." For some reason or another I have continous problems with those god dam QD's leaking fluid and especially the one on the sparge ring always letting in air. Have to always try to find the happy spot to keep out an air leak. replaced seals and tried several other options and figure take the next extreme.

The sanitry fittings will just ensure no leaks with fluid or air from my experience.

Fermenting:
F1 - American IPA
F2 - Vienna

Donk
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby rplace » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:06 pm

First, I must say giving the choice sure it would make the most sense to have every fitting welded. This assumes unlimited budget, access to a quality welding shop, the ability to do it yourself or some other method of getting things welded. I guess it would also assume you don't have any existing equipment like the most of us do. So from a purely academic stand point yes - everything welded no room for exceptions.

Now to the pointless part, let’s see if I have the straight. Person 1 has a BK with coupler or nipple on it that has threads. Person 2 has a BK with a coupler or nipple on it that has threads.

Person 1 puts on a plastic (soft) QD with a push button locking mechanism and a big plastic cross in the center of it or he/she removes the cross and possibly scratches it or polishes it as best he/she can.

Person 2 has two nice, smooth, flat stainless surfaces with a sturdy gasket in between. All can be easily and thoroughly cleaned AND visually inspected down to every nook and cranny.

Person 2 is pointless...got it.

I think you all way over state the potential problems with threads. I'll take as many stainless parts as I can get over anything plastic. You buy them once they can be abused and neglected and still bounce back just fine. If you have brass or stainless QDs you get rid of the plastic part but still have snap rings, balls and what ever else makes that mechanical connection work.

I seriously doubt there is a difference either way. I think it is personal preference and TC fittings or plastic QDs are fine. Heck, barbs and clamps are fine at our level, just not as easy to use. I'd wager a bet that most who bash TC fittings have never used one and those that defend them on the home brew level do so because they have them, like them and don't want to admit that they needlessly indulge in reckless spending because they love their hobby.

I have used them all and still do. However, I much prefer clover fittings to anything else I have used to date.

I have never been in a dairy plant but been in many a brewery. While most clover fittings are welded I have seen my share of threaded fittings. Many, many clover fittings on ebay are used and the come from dairy plants and a good number of them are actually threaded fittings. I don't think either industry has a no-thread policy...but that is just a guess.

Donk, if you have the means get them you won't regret it and i doubt you will have any problmes with this unsightly threads :twisted: The "cool points" might make you sleep better at night.
rplace
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Monster Mash » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:14 pm

Some people actually think it is pointless to brew your own beer since it is readily available at the grocery store....

If you want thread on sanitary fittings you should go for it!!!
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Postby Donk » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:36 pm

I like the last post rplace. Funny sh#$ man. Well put. Personal preference and opinion is everything. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fermenting:
F1 - American IPA
F2 - Vienna

Donk
Pitcher (300 posts)

Next

Return to Brewing Sculptures