Sanitary fittings

Discussion of B3 Brewing Sculptures. How to best use your B3 brewing system, what the options are like, anything to do with the systems.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Re: Sanitary fittings

Postby rplace » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:57 pm

Donk wrote:I like the last post rplace. Funny sh#$ man. Well put. Personal preference and opinion is everything. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week - try the veal and please don't forget to tip your waitress.
rplace
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby usmcruz » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:03 pm

TG wrote:So you take them apart after every brew session?
TIA, Tom

Thats what I did. I would take apart all the 3 piece ball valves, and dissasemble them totally, scrub, boil, and reassemble on vessel. Im a clean freak, and never in over 8 years of brewing ever had an infection, because even though tedious, my equipment was cleaned thouroughly. It took me a while to do when I first started, but after a while, the cleaning process went quick, and a part of my normal routine. The 3 piece valves will trap about 3ml of the first liquid it comes in contact with, like wort for example, and seeing how the wort filled the void air space in the valve, no other liquid will go in or out of the valve, trapping the wort to spoil over time. If you dont believe me try it for yourself, dont take my word for it, I wouldn't! :P
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby whiteManCanHop » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:11 am

rplace, no need to be so defensive. if you notice my original post i said "IN MY OPINION sanitary ...." and like Craig said... if you want threads on your sanitary fittings, go for it! i agree, i could care less what you use. if you have the means to pimp out your system with triclover, great! and your sarcastic point about person 2 having two nice, smooth, flat stainless surfaces yada yada being easily and thoroughly cleaned AND visually inspected.... you still have threads behind that not so pointless fitting. i break down my brewery every so often and i seem to always find some gunk somewhere in the threads, behind valves and what not. THIS is my point. and when i said other than the cool factor... i meant i think triclovers are cool! i wasnt trying to insinuate that one would use them on their system just for bragging rights, but because they really wanted them. i know the sickness that is over everyone here and how most guys would sell their first born to upgrade their brewery.

and donk, you are also right... "personal preference and opinion is everything". i was only sharing my personal opinion.

any way, i am not attacking anybody for using tri clovers with threads, i just personally dont think it makes sense. i apologize if i offended anyone with my comments because i dont want to do that. let the flaming continue...
whiteManCanHop
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby usmcruz » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:20 am

This forum needs more tequila! :P
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby JP » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:30 am

I have our two-piece ball valves that can also be taken apart, and I rarely do so. The few times I have, they have been clean inside, so I don't worry about it so much. If you are concerned and you don't want to spend 15 min on each 3-piece valve taking apart and putting it back together, just recycle boiling wort through the thing. Not saying to NEVER take them apart, but you don't need to each and every time.

Before each brew I make a 5 gallon solution of PBW in my boil kettle and recycle it through my pump and all of my tubing back into my kettle for 15 min. Sometimes I'll open and close that ball valve while pumping so all the nooks and crannies get hit with PBW. I too, have never had an infection. At least, none that I or anyone else could detect or trace back to my ball valve.
Cheers!
JP
JP

Postby TG » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:22 pm

I have taken apart the 2-piece valves and they were filled with brown, stinky stuff (after 10 years of use).
I think the ball-valves hold a lot more stuff than the end of threaded fittings. At least the cleaner and sanitizer can get to them. I am going to try a sanitary butterfly valve on my boil kettle-to-chiller pump and hose and see how it goes.
Brew on
TG
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Donk » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:31 pm

I was thinking tri-clover because it would virtually eliminate any fluid leaks during the movement of wort, something I can not get awway from with these QD's. Unless I am doing something wrong; but I think I have the concept of how to troubleshoot and work a freakin QD.
Scultpure: B3-2050

Fermenting:
F1 - American IPA
F2 - Vienna

On Tap: Just a Pale Ale
Donk
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby fxdwg3 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:59 pm

I went with the SS quick connects.
Love 'em. 8)
fxdwg3
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby Roger456 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:20 pm

Like PJ said, anything threaded is not technically sanitary. That said, Louis Pasteur is your friend. Sanitizer is only as good as what it touches, but heat radiates. Cycle hot water or wort through all of your lines before running your cold-side wort. Even though I run a cleaning cycle with all of my ball valves partially closed, I make sure to pasteurize em before running anything post-boil.

The sanitary fittings are just as fast as the QDs once you get the hang of 'em. Also, the tri-clover fittings won't wear out like the QDs might-- you just replace gaskets.
Roger456
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby krizwit » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:20 am

Interesting thread.....

If you recirc your boiling wort through the QD's, wont that head sanitize everything on a BK? I can understand all the sanitary talk on a conical, but on a BK I dont understand all the fuss if someone recirculates the wort.

Are the three piece SS ball valves hard to take apart and put back together? I just bought two from morebeer becuase I was sick of the handles breaking off the brass valves(SS is stronger so I hope accidentally hitting the handles wont damage them...) and I needed more valves.
krizwit
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby fxdwg3 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:35 am

I use the two piece ball vavles on my new setup.
I Don't take them apart too often and I have never had a three piece.
Used to have single piece valves with brass quick connects for over 10 years on my previous system, never was a problem.
I run PBW through everything after scubbing out the pots and using a brush through the valves, on brew days starsan and then boiling water.
On my new setup there is one SS quick connect off the boil pot but from there to the pump, through CFC to conical I use tri-clover.
My buddies and I do sometimes use a brew towel for the hot quick connects.
I think they are more convient than the tri-clover.
Do the best you can even hoses have places to grow stuff around thier fittings. :shock:
fxdwg3
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby Dean Palmer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:34 pm

I've used a variety of connectors and fittings over the years and the best were the tri-clamps by far. There should not be any concern for parts that you use on the hot side that have a decent contact time with hot wort as that will sanitize them.

Threads are irrelevant on the hot side of our process, so throw out that argument. Using a calibrated digital thermocouple thermometer I took some time some years ago to measure all the possible places on the kettle valves, bulkheads, and attached hardware. In each case the boil temps quickly brought the hardware above required sanitation temps, all over 180F. Even if your threaded fittings were dirty, or your ball valves cruddy, there is nothing alive in there. Equipment varies so I cannot say this is true in all cases, but it's a good base for the discussion.

To prove this out the 3-piece ball valves that were used for years with never any infection/contamination were taken apart for their regular cleaning (each decade probably) and soaked in PBW. These were valves that get a good rinse after use and the valve actuated under some type of water flow while rinsing. See pic below.

Most of the time the plumbing is sanitized near the end of the boil by recirculating hot wort, so another way of ensuring that there is nothing alive. This goes for the plate chiller as well that is notorious for retaining some sort of crud each time no matter how good you think you clean it :-)

There are a lot of connectors and such that are excellent for use in our hobby. I really liked the polysulfone plastic disconnects I used for years. Everything except the tri-clamps has solid disadvantages except for price. All that said, it doesn't matter if you have a few threaded parts on the hot side, what matters is what works for you. Just because someone has threads somewhere, it doesn't make the tri-clamps any less useful where they are used. It also doesn't mean that having threaded fittings in some places means you have to go nuts cleaning and sanitizing.

I use tri-clamps on everything now simply because they are the best overall, and anyone who thinks it is for "bling" factor is just incorrect. I'd say let your needs tell you what is the best simple solution for your system. I went through almost a decade with my current system trying a lot of things until the tri-clamps proved to be the next step in the evolution. No more leaks, crappy tiny o-rings, stuck releases, trapped gunk, no dedicated male/female side, universal hose ends, no lube, etc, etc. Only downside is the cost.
Dean Palmer
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby pclemon » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:54 am

Dean Palmer wrote:I use tri-clamps on everything now simply because they are the best overall, and anyone who thinks it is for "bling" factor is just incorrect. I'd say let your needs tell you what is the best simple solution for your system. I went through almost a decade with my current system trying a lot of things until the tri-clamps proved to be the next step in the evolution. No more leaks, crappy tiny o-rings, stuck releases, trapped gunk, no dedicated male/female side, universal hose ends, no lube, etc, etc. Only downside is the cost.

Zombie thread Dean says RISE!!! Nice.

I'm guessing I have not likely gone through as much trial and error as Dean has but I do agree with all the points he makes in this thread. I started with the polysulphone which were very convenient, though I thought they are expensive for what they are. I tried a pair of the SS QD's - found them finicky and when something is hot AND finicky, it's just not a good match. I still have some of the SS cam-lock fittings in my system and I'm in no rush to switch them out but next time I revise the system I'll change those over to tri-clamps which is what the rest of my system is. I really don't think the tri-clamp option is significantly more costly than the others.
Pete
pclemon

Postby usmcruz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:53 pm

Anything prior to the boil doesn't need sanitary tri-clamp fittings in my opinion. If using pumps sanitary shouldn't be the word of choice because the tri-clover fittings are as sanitary as the threads their being screwed onto(the pump), but its more of a convienence as there quicker to take on and off of pumps during brewing, but they still need to be taken off the pump to clean the fittings and threads.
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby pclemon » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:46 am

usmcruz wrote:but its more of a convienence as there quicker to take on and off of pumps during brewing, but they still need to be taken off the pump to clean the fittings and threads.

I almost never break down my pump to clean it. I do run PBW through it during my normal cleaning regimen (which is every 6-8 batches). I sterilize the pump - and any threaded connection - during brewing by pumping the boiling wort through it for 20+ minutes.
Pete
pclemon

PreviousNext

Return to Brewing Sculptures