Sanitary fittings

Discussion of B3 Brewing Sculptures. How to best use your B3 brewing system, what the options are like, anything to do with the systems.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Re: Sanitary fittings

Postby BrewBum » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:01 am

pclemon wrote:
usmcruz wrote:but its more of a convienence as there quicker to take on and off of pumps during brewing, but they still need to be taken off the pump to clean the fittings and threads.

I almost never break down my pump to clean it. I do run PBW through it during my normal cleaning regimen (which is every 6-8 batches). I sterilize the pump - and any threaded connection - during brewing by pumping the boiling wort through it for 20+ minutes.

I have never broken my pump down, I do what you do PC

I start the brewday with some warm pbw that I pump through it if I have the time. Then it goes to work as normaly and about 15 minutes left in the boil it starts recirculating boil wort through it to sanitize it. When I am done I run hot PBW through it again before I put it away. I figure that should be good enough. I suppose I should break it down this year but seems pointless to me.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Re: Re: Sanitary fittings

Postby usmcruz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:29 am

BrewBum wrote:
pclemon wrote:
usmcruz wrote:but its more of a convienence as there quicker to take on and off of pumps during brewing, but they still need to be taken off the pump to clean the fittings and threads.

I almost never break down my pump to clean it. I do run PBW through it during my normal cleaning regimen (which is every 6-8 batches). I sterilize the pump - and any threaded connection - during brewing by pumping the boiling wort through it for 20+ minutes.

I have never broken my pump down, I do what you do PC

I start the brewday with some warm pbw that I pump through it if I have the time. Then it goes to work as normaly and about 15 minutes left in the boil it starts recirculating boil wort through it to sanitize it. When I am done I run hot PBW through it again before I put it away. I figure that should be good enough. I suppose I should break it down this year but seems pointless to me.

Take a white paper towel and break down all your threaded fittings. Now take that white paper towels and rub it on the inside of your lines and and your threads you will see the grime that comes off on that paper towel. PBW is good stuff but it leaves a grimy film after a while. The only chemical I know that cleaned the lines really good is acid number 5 by five star but you have to run that through the pump and run it hot.

I ran into the same problem with pbw when I owned my brew magic.
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Re: Re: Sanitary fittings

Postby pclemon » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:50 am

usmcruz wrote: Take a white paper towel and break down all your threaded fittings. Now take that white paper towels and rub it on the inside of your lines and and your threads you will see the grime that comes off on that paper towel. PBW is good stuff but it leaves a grimy film after a while. The only chemical I know that cleaned the lines really good is acid number 5 by five star but you have to run that through the pump and run it hot.

I totally get what you're saying. When I break down ball valves and the like there's stuff in there that comes off after a soak in some hot PBW, but I don't worry about any kind of infection from it so long as it's been on the "hot" side for 15+ minutes. If I broke down every piece of equipment between every session the hobby would be a complete drag.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Dean Palmer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:43 am

There will be residues inside on almost every surface, but most of the time whatever is left there is irrelevant. If I spent the time and money to ensure everything was completely clean each time I'd go broke and crazy in no certain order :-) I'm a big fan of the heat making things safe instead of obsessively cleaning.

If PBW is used at the proper mix ratio it will eat up all organics. As USMCRUZ stated, an acid cleaner is sometimes needed for residuals that are not touched by PBW like calcium oxalate (beerstone, kidneystones) and it is made up of calcium and magnesium salts that are only affected by an acid wash. Every now and then using both cleaners will clear just about any buildup. Sometimes elbow grease and Bar Keeper's Friend can be used (it's part oxalic acid). Even recirculation of acid-based sanitizer can reduce the buildup after PBW.

These problems affect 100% of advanced brewers, especially the gadget-prone ones :-) Wasn't life nice and simple with plastic buckets and your biggest worry being a siphon hose?

Unless it is used post-boil, don't worry too much. You've seen the pics of my valves and all the gunk inside even after a year of good cleaning process :-)
Dean Palmer
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: Re: Re: Sanitary fittings

Postby usmcruz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:59 am

pclemon wrote:
usmcruz wrote: Take a white paper towel and break down all your threaded fittings. Now take that white paper towels and rub it on the inside of your lines and and your threads you will see the grime that comes off on that paper towel. PBW is good stuff but it leaves a grimy film after a while. The only chemical I know that cleaned the lines really good is acid number 5 by five star but you have to run that through the pump and run it hot.

I totally get what you're saying. When I break down ball valves and the like there's stuff in there that comes off after a soak in some hot PBW, but I don't worry about any kind of infection from it so long as it's been on the "hot" side for 15+ minutes. If I broke down every piece of equipment between every session the hobby would be a complete drag.

Before using acid #5 on my brew magic i would break down everything once every 6 months. I would normally brew around 15 batches every 6 months.
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby BrianRay » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:03 am

Where do you guys buy your fittings? Specifically stainless? My mother raised me to worship the stuff, and I just can't get away from the feeling that they are more hygienic.

I've used http://www.stainlesssteelfittings.com before- Any other sources?
BrianRay
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Postby pclemon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:07 am

Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Dean Palmer » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:10 am

Brewers Hardware are good folks to deal with. I know I've spent way too much there on shiny things :-)
Dean Palmer
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Monster Mash » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:59 am

The cam lock QD's are half the price of the other QD's so you get about 2 sets for the price of one. They are not as convenient but hey have less parts and are easier to keep clean.
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Previous

Return to Brewing Sculptures