Temp Probe Placement?

Discussion of B3 Brewing Sculptures. How to best use your B3 brewing system, what the options are like, anything to do with the systems.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Temp Probe Placement?

Postby bakofsky » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:14 am

On brutus inspired systems it looks like most folks are placing their temp probes in stainless tees attached to the kettle valves.
So doesn't the valve have to be open anytime you want to monitor temp? It seems like it would make more sense to place the T between the kettle and valve, so that you could run a longer probe all the way int the kettle, then have the valve attached to the bottom of the tee. (oriented vertically instead of horizontally).

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
bakofsky
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: Temp Probe Placement?

Postby Son of a Kraut » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:13 pm

Since it's direct fired, I would assume that your valve would be open during the entire mash with the pump recirculating. That's what I do. I have my probe stuck in the return manifold (see Gumby1974's post on the Northern Brewer forum) and it seems to work relatively well. I copied what Mike did for his system. Here's a link http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58808&hilit=+Valves+Gas+burner. I live near Mike and in talking to him I found out that he had his initially through a thermowell into the mash tun and it was not very responsive. If you want, I can take some pics of my brewtus inspired syste to show you what I'm using. It's a pretty simple solution to something that I think we tend to over complicate from time to time.

Hope that helps.
Son of a Kraut
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Lonnie Mac » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:49 pm

In this instance, the LOVE's only job is to monitor and control the recirculation temperature. Not monitor the mash temp itself actually. That's why I have a handy dial on the pot. :)

In general, once the mash temp is reached, it will maintain... In general.

So if one wanted to ensure that the step temp, or mash-out temp, or even simply maintaining the set mash temp in a recirculation system, you want the probe as CLOSE to the heat source as possible to ensure that the return never exceeds your actual set temp. This way the mash itself has to play catch-up to your set point, but never be able to exceed the set point.
Lonnie Mac!
President of the Brutus Ten Cult...
Home of Brutus "Ten"!
Lonnie Mac
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Cock146 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:41 am

doesn't the valve have to be open anytime you want to monitor temp? It seems like it would make more sense to place the T between the kettle and valve, so that you could run a longer probe all the way int the kettle, then have the valve attached to the bottom of the tee. (oriented vertically instead of horizontally)...???
Are you worried about learn spanish online - learnalanguage exam prep and certification practice Check out our latest resources for www.quincy.edu dumps and University of Kansas questions for practice
Last edited by Cock146 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cock146
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:10 am

Cock146 wrote:doesn't the valve have to be open anytime you want to monitor temp? It seems like it would make more sense to place the T between the kettle and valve, so that you could run a longer probe all the way int the kettle, then have the valve attached to the bottom of the tee. (oriented vertically instead of horizontally)...???

in lonnies set up he is doing a continous recirculation with his mash so the probe is placed after the valve.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Return to Brewing Sculptures