Slotted angle iron - would you do it again?

Discussion of B3 Brewing Sculptures. How to best use your B3 brewing system, what the options are like, anything to do with the systems.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Re: Slotted angle iron - would you do it again?

Postby Cabin Joe » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:56 am

I hope to purchase my steel soon and start construction. Will actually post some pictures for once!
User avatar
Cabin Joe
Pitcher (300 posts)
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:16 am
Location: Mid-west

Re: Slotted angle iron - would you do it again?

Postby Monster Mash » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:34 pm

Only 15 months later!!! :wink:
User avatar
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)
 
Posts: 14357
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Castaic, CA

Re: Slotted angle iron - would you do it again?

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:44 pm

This is how I cut the angle iron for mine.


Below is how I cut the 2-1/4x1-1/2" steel; if you are careful you will have one 6' length left over.
|____________ 52"____|___16.5"_____|
-------------------------------------------------- x 4
|__16.5__|__16.5__|__16.5__|__16.5__|
-------------------------------------------------- x 1
|______________72"__________________|
-------------------------------------------------- x 1 (This left over angle let me cut 3 more 21" pieces from the 2-1/4x1-1/2" to use as a pump mount.)

I cut the 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 steel like below. The fifth one is used as a support on the back side of the frame. the other four are used as the legs of the frame.
|___21____|___21____|___21____|
---------------------------------------------
|___21____|___21____|
---------------------------------------------
If all else fails: duck. As a defensive stratagem it's unreliable, but incredibly reassuring for a moment or two.
User avatar
Spaceman Spiff
Pint Glass (25 posts)
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:23 am
Location: georgia

Re: Slotted angle iron - would you do it again?

Postby Cabin Joe » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:29 pm

Monster Mash wrote:Only 15 months later!!! :wink:


I know, pretty quick!! :wink: Just 10 more months and I'll actually get around to it...
User avatar
Cabin Joe
Pitcher (300 posts)
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:16 am
Location: Mid-west

Re: Slotted angle iron - would you do it again?

Postby Rbeckett » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:21 pm

Well, did anybody ever finish the slotted metal build and come up with a material cost? I am a welder by trade so I can weld the sculpture, but I like the adjustability of the slotted materials better. I realize I will need to triangulate the material to prevent fatigue but think it looks way better and has way more options than a welded bed frame rail sculpture. Bed frames are cheap and plentifull but have hard and soft spots in them and do not weld as well as you would expect. I guess since it is ungraded metal that is what you have to deal with. Any way, I am trying to do a cost comparison and would love to get some idea of what the material costs from Lowes or Home depot. Thanks in advance.
Bob
Rbeckett
Taster Glass (2 posts)
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:12 pm

Slotted angle iron - would you do it again?

Postby Brambles » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:45 pm

I'll post my lay out and estimated costs when I'm done figuring out exactly what I want and where. I keep seeing new designs and getting ideas. I will say it is looking like ~225 bucks for materials. I am still shopping around for a good deal also.
I won't be actually doing my build for atleast 3 months due to minimal free time.
User avatar
Brambles
Liter Mug (100 posts)
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:51 am

Re: Slotted angle iron - would you do it again?

Postby Cabin Joe » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:45 pm

Rbeckett wrote:Well, did anybody ever finish the slotted metal build and come up with a material cost? I am a welder by trade so I can weld the sculpture, but I like the adjustability of the slotted materials better. I realize I will need to triangulate the material to prevent fatigue but think it looks way better and has way more options than a welded bed frame rail sculpture. Bed frames are cheap and plentifull but have hard and soft spots in them and do not weld as well as you would expect. I guess since it is ungraded metal that is what you have to deal with. Any way, I am trying to do a cost comparison and would love to get some idea of what the material costs from Lowes or Home depot. Thanks in advance.
Bob


Lowes and Home depot are really expensive for slotted, much more than McMaster Carr, though I haven't factored in shipping. If you're a welder and have access to equipment and I'm guessing cheap materials, that would be the way I would lean. I'm going slotted b/c I don't know how to weld, but I can use an angle grinder with a cut off wheel :wink:
User avatar
Cabin Joe
Pitcher (300 posts)
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:16 am
Location: Mid-west

Re: Slotted angle iron - would you do it again?

Postby zippymedic » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:41 pm

Hello all, Well I too went with the slotted steel as I do not weld. I purchased my steel from Fastenal store. About 5$ for 8 footers. I did the three tier set up with Banjo burners on the top (HL) tank and the bottome for the (BK). I use a round igloo cooler for a mash tun and copper sparge system. I like the steel because If you have to add or change something, all you do is grab the sockets and go to town. Placed it on industrial casters and just need to add my LP hoses and try the maiden batch...
Pauly
ZippyMedic
Brewing Beer is What I LOVE!!
User avatar
zippymedic
Taster Glass (2 posts)
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Slotted angle iron - would you do it again?

Postby Brambles » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:43 pm

For a single tier 5 gallon system, would 16 gauge be too small? I feel like it would be fine, but thought I would ask other peoples thoughts.
User avatar
Brambles
Liter Mug (100 posts)
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:51 am

Re: Slotted angle iron - would you do it again?

Postby thetooth » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:51 pm

I think I might give this a try. I've been trying to coordinate time with a friend to weld something up for a couple years now and I think it's just not likely to happen with our schedules. I'd probably build mine 2-tier so I drain my mash tuns to kettle via gravity, but I wouldn't think that would matter.

The steel at McMaster Carr looks to be about 14 gauge from some googling. Does anyone know what the load capacity would be for a structure built with that? I sometimes do 15 gallon batches and I use coolers for mash tuns and a couple of 26 gallon kettles for kettle and hot liquor tank. I just want to be sure it can handle that kind or weight before I go through the expense and time of building something. :D
User avatar
thetooth
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
 
Posts: 2686
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:23 am
Location: Long Beach, CA

Re: Slotted angle iron - would you do it again?

Postby Cabin Joe » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:24 pm

thetooth wrote:I think I might give this a try. I've been trying to coordinate time with a friend to weld something up for a couple years now and I think it's just not likely to happen with our schedules. I'd probably build mine 2-tier so I drain my mash tuns to kettle via gravity, but I wouldn't think that would matter.

The steel at McMaster Carr looks to be about 14 gauge from some googling. Does anyone know what the load capacity would be for a structure built with that? I sometimes do 15 gallon batches and I use coolers for mash tuns and a couple of 26 gallon kettles for kettle and hot liquor tank. I just want to be sure it can handle that kind or weight before I go through the expense and time of building something. :D



It's been way to long since my college days doing mechanical design to begin to tell you what the load capacity would be. My advice would be to look at what others have built and ask them if they have had problems. When in doubt, over design and test it with cold water in your kettles and then add extra weight if possible. If she holds, then I would give it a real run. Just keep yourself and anyone else away from it during the first couple of batches, just in case. This is basically what I plan to do with mine.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
User avatar
Cabin Joe
Pitcher (300 posts)
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:16 am
Location: Mid-west

Re: Slotted angle iron - would you do it again?

Postby thetooth » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:43 pm

Cabin Joe wrote:
thetooth wrote:I think I might give this a try. I've been trying to coordinate time with a friend to weld something up for a couple years now and I think it's just not likely to happen with our schedules. I'd probably build mine 2-tier so I drain my mash tuns to kettle via gravity, but I wouldn't think that would matter.

The steel at McMaster Carr looks to be about 14 gauge from some googling. Does anyone know what the load capacity would be for a structure built with that? I sometimes do 15 gallon batches and I use coolers for mash tuns and a couple of 26 gallon kettles for kettle and hot liquor tank. I just want to be sure it can handle that kind or weight before I go through the expense and time of building something. :D



It's been way to long since my college days doing mechanical design to begin to tell you what the load capacity would be. My advice would be to look at what others have built and ask them if they have had problems. When in doubt, over design and test it with cold water in your kettles and then add extra weight if possible. If she holds, then I would give it a real run. Just keep yourself and anyone else away from it during the first couple of batches, just in case. This is basically what I plan to do with mine.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.


Understood. I definitely wasn't expecting you to do a bunch of calculations. I was just hoping there was a simple rule-of-thumb or that someone who has built one has had x-lbs on their stand without it bending or breaking.
User avatar
thetooth
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
 
Posts: 2686
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:23 am
Location: Long Beach, CA

Re: Slotted angle iron - would you do it again?

Postby Cabin Joe » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:47 pm

Steel ordered. Should be a week to receive it then another 10 months to put it together :) Looking forward to seeing this thing come to life...
User avatar
Cabin Joe
Pitcher (300 posts)
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:16 am
Location: Mid-west

Re: Slotted angle iron - would you do it again?

Postby usmcruz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:46 pm

Cabin Joe wrote:Steel ordered. Should be a week to receive it then another 10 months to put it together :) Looking forward to seeing this thing come to life...



Im in need of a road trip, so if you got a welder, I would be willing to travel to sling some metal :D .
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
User avatar
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)
 
Posts: 7639
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:55 am
Location: Naples italy

Re: Slotted angle iron - would you do it again?

Postby Cabin Joe » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:55 am

Got the bottom of the stand done. At least i can roll my burners around on it now :) hope to finish the rest shortly. Kegs are dry!
User avatar
Cabin Joe
Pitcher (300 posts)
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:16 am
Location: Mid-west

PreviousNext

Return to Brewing Sculptures

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests