SETTING UP MY 1100 BREW SCULPTURE WITH BEER SMITH

Discussion of B3 Brewing Sculptures. How to best use your B3 brewing system, what the options are like, anything to do with the systems.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Re: SETTING UP MY 1100 BREW SCULPTURE WITH BEER SMITH

Postby Brewtime » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:19 am

jclorden wrote:careful with the "lost to trub" number. It will throw off your efficiency calc. I set it to zero then set my batch size and final volume to the amount I want in the kettle after the boil before chilling and run off. (note that beersmith wants your batch size and final volume at the same number)

Assume 75% efficiency, 13.85G of 1.040 preboil w/ 10% boil off, leaving 1 gallon in the kettle/chiller, and I want 11Gallons in my fermenters.

Based on these numbers my final gravity should be 1.046 post-boil

However if I add the 1Gallon Trub Loss that makes my batch 11Gallons (keeping the pre-boil constant at 13.85 gallons and 1.040)
my 1.046 OG now is only 68% efficency.

That nmber is wrong. Beersmith seems to act as if the kettle loss is the same as boil off and concentrates my wort.. it want my OG to now be 1.051 - that's wrong.

I say it's easier to just leave the kettle/trub loss at 0 and formulate w/ batch size based on whats in the kettle post boil.

Ditto
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Bobster43 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:16 am

I am missing something ,no matter what I change it will not add the extra 2 gallons to the strike water.I guess I can just add the 2 gallons I just hope it will throw everything off seems like you should be able to do this
Bobster43
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:18 pm

if you put the 2 gallons in the deadspace than BS automatically calculates the volume you are over thinking this RDWHAHB
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby pclemon » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:51 am

Bobster43 wrote:I am missing something ,no matter what I change it will not add the extra 2 gallons to the strike water.I guess I can just add the 2 gallons I just hope it will throw everything off seems like you should be able to do this

Think it might have been mentioned elsewhere but just in case.

If you create a recipe and edit things within the recipe as it relates to equipment, mash, etc, those settings only change FOR THAT RECIPE.

If you have a recipe created and go into the equipment, mash, etc profiles in the main directory and change settings those settings will only impact FUTURE recipes created with that equip/mash/etc.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby bustachick » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:27 pm

Bobster43 wrote:I am missing something ,no matter what I change it will not add the extra 2 gallons to the strike water.I guess I can just add the 2 gallons I just hope it will throw everything off seems like you should be able to do this

I am also setting up the specs for my new 1100 and I see what you mean. Adding 2 gal to the dead space increases the sparge water by 2gal, but the strike volume stays the same. That doesn't make sense to me, at the start of the sparge the dead space is already filled. I guess I just add the 2 gal like you said and go with the rest of the calcs.
bustachick
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby brighamj » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:03 pm

Bob,

Have you managed to tweak the equipment profile in Beersmith to suite your liking? I have an 1100 on its way and would love to do as much prep as possible before it arrives.

I set up a thread asking as much here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41642

Thanks,

Justin
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
- Frank Sinatra
brighamj
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Previous

Return to Brewing Sculptures