SETTING UP MY 1100 BREW SCULPTURE WITH BEER SMITH

Discussion of B3 Brewing Sculptures. How to best use your B3 brewing system, what the options are like, anything to do with the systems.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SETTING UP MY 1100 BREW SCULPTURE WITH BEER SMITH

Postby Bobster43 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:24 am

I was wondering if anyone uses beer smith with their sculpture and if so how do they have it set up in the software as far as equipment. I am trying to figure out the best way to take a recipe lets say based on 75 percent efficiency and enter in and come close to the final gravity in the recipe. I am sorta new to this software. I made a stout last week entered in the grains,hops ,yeast mash temp, boil time . I took the grain bill and added 1.2 gallons of water to the mash tun and added 2 extra gallons to account for the water below the screen.I ended up with about 70 percent efficency which put me a little short, do you guys add the extra 2 gallons of water to beer smith? I guess what I am asking is what is the best way to use this software with my 1100 system

Thanks Bob p
Bobster43
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: SETTING UP MY 1100 BREW SCULPTURE WITH BEER SMITH

Postby pclemon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:53 am

I've used Beersmith for years - though not with that system. It's fairly cutomizeable from an equipment standpoint. I assume you've gone into the equipment profile and entered in the mash tun dead space and other volumes?

Beersmith (or any other software) is not going to calculate an estimated efficiency for you based on an equipment profile. Only experience will tell you, for a given recipe, at given temps, etc, etc what you should be expecting for eff.

You can load recipes into the application and put what eff. the author of the recipe worked with. Once you have that, you can go to the "scale recipe" option and adjust volume or eff (or both) and the software will adjust the quantities of your ingredients to suit.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Bobster43 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:38 am

I did not see a mash tun dead space on beer smith
Bobster43
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby jclorden » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:48 am

I use beer mith now, but I miss promash's water calculation screen in the recipe files.
Jims

ON TAP:

Munich Helles
Oktoberfest

Fermenting:
Weisbeir
jclorden
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby pclemon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:51 pm

Bobster43 wrote:I did not see a mash tun dead space on beer smith

It may be labeled something different than that (I don't have the app on the computer in front of me) - but if you go into the equipment profile thare are spots to put in things like dead-space, boil off rate, etc etc.
Pete
pclemon

Postby Bobster43 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:52 pm

I did see a dead space for the lauter tun
Bobster43
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby pclemon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:00 pm

Bobster43 wrote:I did see a dead space for the lauter tun

Yes - that's it.
Pete
pclemon

Postby saltydawg » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:01 pm

I think BeerSmith might be using the terms 'mash tun' & 'lauter tun' interchangeably. If I click on the 'equipment' icon on the left menu, my equipment parameters are displayed at the bottom of the screen and the term 'mash tun' is used. Now if I then double click 'my equipment' a pop up menu appears and the term 'lauter tun' is used. They both have the same value entered, (0.8 gallon in my case) which is the only place I entered that specific value. So it must be the same thing.... right???

Besides, you basically lauter out of your mash tun at the end of your mash, right? Makes sense to me. I hope that helps.
Beer has food value, food has no beer value.
saltydawg
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby saltydawg » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:03 pm

pclemon wrote:

Yes - that's it.

You beat me to it, Pete! :wink:
saltydawg
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby pclemon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:12 pm

saltydawg wrote:
pclemon wrote:

Yes - that's it.

You beat me to it, Pete! :wink:

I noticed that. :) As flexible as Beersmith can be there can be a fairly steep learning curve. But then again, it sounds like he's struggling with the learning curve of a new brewing system at the same time.
Pete
pclemon

Postby Brewtime » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:28 am

The hardest part of Beersmith is the equipment setup. Once you get that set up pretty smooth sailing. I would suggest that you make the same beer several times in a row to lock down your eff. Start with 70% and work from there
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Bobster43 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:06 am

Thanks Guys I will try it out ,I am curious if it will have me add a extra 2 gallons of water to the mash tun now.
Bobster43
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Bobster43 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:23 am

I added 2 gallons of dead space to the lauter tun/ mash tun in the software but when I formulated the recipe it gave me the same amount of strike water as it did before I added the two gallons of dead space,is this corrrect I was thinking it should add another two gallons to account for the dead space below the false bottom
Bobster43
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby saltydawg » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:28 am

If you first wrote the recipe, then changed the equipment specs, it might still be using the old specs. Click on 'choose' next to 'equipment' while in the recipe. Be sure your equipment change is there, in the context of the recipe page.

I have found help for BeerSmith on their forum, too. But just play around with it for awhile, as has been said, there is a learning curve.
saltydawg
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby jclorden » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:51 pm

careful with the "lost to trub" number. It will throw off your efficiency calc. I set it to zero then set my batch size and final volume to the amount I want in the kettle after the boil before chilling and run off. (note that beersmith wants your batch size and final volume at the same number)

Assume 75% efficiency, 13.85G of 1.040 preboil w/ 10% boil off, leaving 1 gallon in the kettle/chiller, and I want 11Gallons in my fermenters.

Based on these numbers my final gravity should be 1.046 post-boil

However if I add the 1Gallon Trub Loss that makes my batch 11Gallons (keeping the pre-boil constant at 13.85 gallons and 1.040)
my 1.046 OG now is only 68% efficency.

That nmber is wrong. Beersmith seems to act as if the kettle loss is the same as boil off and concentrates my wort.. it want my OG to now be 1.051 - that's wrong.

I say it's easier to just leave the kettle/trub loss at 0 and formulate w/ batch size based on whats in the kettle post boil.
Jims

ON TAP:

Munich Helles
Oktoberfest

Fermenting:
Weisbeir
jclorden
Pitcher (300 posts)

Next

Return to Brewing Sculptures