Burner windscreens

Discussion of B3 Brewing Sculptures. How to best use your B3 brewing system, what the options are like, anything to do with the systems.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Burner windscreens

Postby klaus » Fri May 04, 2012 6:26 pm

I'm about finished with my frame and getting to the point of mounting burners. Has anybody used air conditioning duct collars for ready made windscreens ? It seems that they should work in that they come in variety of sizes to fit most burners, ready made, and inexpensive. I was wondering how long it might take the galvanizing to burn off, don't want to burn up too much $$ in propane to save on the cost of sheet metal. My frame is welded steel, I thought the slotted angle iron guys might have an idea on the burn-off time.

Any experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

Craig
klaus
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: Burner windscreens

Postby usmcruz » Thu May 10, 2012 4:23 pm

The galvanived will burn off, but slowly if you mount them as wind screens. It should take about 3 or 4 brew sessions to for it to stop burning off. Also if their mounted too close, those collars being so thin, will burn up, and start melting the collars from the radiant heat. I had that happened to me when I attempted the same thing on my brew magic.
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby terranovabeerworks » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:41 pm

I have not heard of galvanizing burning off before. I was planning on building a brew stand out of galvanized tubing but I am also planning on painting it with a high temp paint.

Do any of you knowledgeable people see any problem with this?
Still a beginner about to make the jump to full grain, on a home made stand.
terranovabeerworks
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby pclemon » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:14 am

terranovabeerworks wrote:I have not heard of galvanizing burning off before. I was planning on building a brew stand out of galvanized tubing but I am also planning on painting it with a high temp paint.

Do any of you knowledgeable people see any problem with this?

High temp paint won't likely stand up to that high of a temp. If it were me I would forego the trial/error and just purchase:

http://www.brewershardware.com/12-Heat- ... Mount.html
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby terranovabeerworks » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:47 am

Thanks Pete. That seems like a good solution for that part of the my stand.

However will galvanization adversely effect my stand if I use it for the structure? I was thinking of using galvanized tubing for the structure of the stand.

Any help would be appreciated.
terranovabeerworks
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby pclemon » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:54 am

terranovabeerworks wrote:Thanks Pete. That seems like a good solution for that part of the my stand.

However will galvanization adversely effect my stand if I use it for the structure? I was thinking of using galvanized tubing for the structure of the stand.

Any help would be appreciated.

Using it for the stand itself is fine... galvanization keeps rust at bay. If it's an area that's subject to extreme heat (heat shield) then the galvanization will burn off and the part will eventually rust. Should also note that I seem to recall somewhere that the fumes from galvanization burning off can be toxic. Not certain of that but something that you may want to check out.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby terranovabeerworks » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:40 pm

Thanks Pete. I will avoid using the galvanized on the sculpture. Even though I will likely be alright for the frame of the sculpture (I will definitely use SS for the windscreen), I figure it will be better to play it safe and not get anything toxic around me when making beer.

Thanks for the tip.
terranovabeerworks
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Monster Mash » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Galvanized metal is toxic especially while welding, I would stay away from it for making a stand and just use steel or stainless.
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Postby terranovabeerworks » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:38 pm

Craig,

Yes, after some thought I have decided to go all stainless steel. It will be quite a bit more expensive for the material BUT...we are talking about making a consumable so why risk it. I will post pics of my build as it developes. THANKS TO ALL for the input on this. It saved me money and time replacing it down the road and even possibly toxic poisoning.
terranovabeerworks
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: Re: Burner windscreens

Postby usmcruz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:13 pm

Monster Mash wrote:Galvanized metal is toxic especially while welding, I would stay away from it for making a stand and just use steel or stainless.

Your correct, but for his stand i would of treated the burner area exposed to high heat with hydrochloric pool acid which instantly eats the galvanizing off making it safe.

On the other side of the coin mt stand i built out of regular steel recently had had over 8 batches brewed on her an no rust. I spray painted everything with primer and a decorative hammered spray paint and no paint has been affected by heat. I didnt spray paint the burner area, but the legs supporting it were, and the paint has been unharmed. People always go for the stainless, but steel is a better, cheaper choice, unless you have to have it in like a brewery setting. Save the money, get steel, and put the saved money towards brewing equipment, and this is coming from a fabricator/welder that loves stainless! :P
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Return to Brewing Sculptures