Can't get good rolling boil for 15G brew (on 2050)

Discussion of B3 Brewing Sculptures. How to best use your B3 brewing system, what the options are like, anything to do with the systems.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Can't get good rolling boil for 15G brew (on 2050)

Postby IIPABrewer » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:45 pm

I recently upgraded my 1550 to a 2050 (new kettles and MT basket). Right around the same time I decided to replace my boil kettle's burner since it was putting out a huge amount of soot (why make the pretty new kettles black so soon). I believe I did use my old burner without issue (except it put out soot) that i'm about to describe.

I bought the latest burner and jet from B3 and after installing it immediately noticed it is much more quiet, the burner is slightly smaller (doesn't say "HOT" embossed on it) and most importantly doesn't heat as well. I used to be able to do a big rolling boil of 8-12 gallons of wort maintained with 3PSI of propane (12-15% evaporation per hour) but now I can only get mild surface movement during the boil (5-7% evaporation) even at 15PSI for 15+ gallons of wort. Anyone else experienced this? Are people getting big rolling boils on the 20+G sculptures? (Yes I do know that a small rolling boil is ok to brew with but its taking alot longer to heat and I like a larger boil for some of my beers.)

I've tried using my new and old jet with the new burner and no change so it seems to be the burner that's the problem. The venting is wide open so its getting enough air flow. Next thing to try is either to use my old burner again or get this one: http://bayouclassicdepot.com/bg14_cast_iron_burner.htm. Anyone used this on the B3 sculpture?
SYSTEM
2008 version of B3 2050 system
SS B3 H&C Conical

ON TAP (or lagering)
Sorry far to many to try to list these days :).
IIPABrewer
6 Pack (200 posts)

Re: Can't get good rolling boil for 15G brew (on 2050)

Postby pclemon » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:29 pm

Can't say that I've used that burner on a B3 sculpture but I use those burners in my system and are very pleased with them. They have NO issue getting 20+ gallons to a boil in short time. A burner though is also going to be somewhat limited by the regulator feeding it. I don't know what burners/regulators that the B3 has with them, but before replacing the burners I would take a hard look at the regulator feeding it.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:36 pm

http://bayouclassicdepot.com/7850_propane_regulator.htm

I have this 0-30 PSI propane regulator.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby faariwasi » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:56 am

Last weekend I brewed a Pliny the Elder with a starting gravity of 1.068. This weekend I'm looking at doing an American Barley Wine. I was thinking of just throwing the American Barley Wine right on the yeast cake.
We are the pioneers in providing Testking cisco exam toefl and with 100% exam pass Download Testking ec council ceh our latest passguidegmat and millercollege Our high quality itil prepares you well before appearing in the final fcc.edu ccna or pass real exam
faariwasi
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Return to Brewing Sculptures