Good buy on a used 2050?

Discussion of B3 Brewing Sculptures. How to best use your B3 brewing system, what the options are like, anything to do with the systems.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Good buy on a used 2050?

Postby chronlord » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:34 am

Greetings, all. I've been reading this forum for quite a while but never contribute. Today I found a listing for a used Tippy 2050 and was wondering if his asking price is fair. Here's the listing:

Includes:

1 - More Beer all stainless steel Brew Sculpture, Tippy model 2050 (fully digital controlled)
2 -- 25 gallon Conical primary fermenters (1 is digitally temperature controlled)
12 - Secondary fermetors (5 gallon Cornelius kegs) used for carbonation, storage and dispensing the finished product.
1 CO/2 keg dispenser, for traveling
Several Cornelius keg rebuild kits (gaskets relief valves ect) and dispensing equipment.
2 cooper wort cooling coils.
1 Hot tank heat exchanging cooper coil
In line Filtered aerator (dairy quality stainless steel) for aerating wort prior to pitching yeast- necessary to fully activate the yeast -- enhancing beer flavor
All required hoses and dairy quality stainless steel connecting clamps for transferring product.
All CO/2 equipment tank and regulators for carbonating.
2 propane tanks
All associated specialty equipment to brew any style of Hand Crafted beer from start and finish.
Recipe for "Alpha Amber Ale"
Assist with set up and advice -- will assist with First Batch if asked.
10K invested asking - $ 7500

What questions would you all ask if you were interested in purchasing?
If all the equipment is in good shape (which I'll confirm), does this sound like a good deal?

I almost pulled the trigger on buying a new 2050 last weekend. The attractive part of the deal above is the cost savings in buying used (obviously) and a NO wait time.

I've been researching my prospective purchase on this forum and have learned a lot.

Thanks and Cheers!
chronlord
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: Good buy on a used 2050?

Postby pclemon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:54 am

chronlord wrote:1 - More Beer all stainless steel Brew Sculpture, Tippy model 2050 (fully digital controlled)
2 -- 25 gallon Conical primary fermenters (1 is digitally temperature controlled)
12 - Secondary fermetors (5 gallon Cornelius kegs) used for carbonation, storage and dispensing the finished product.
1 CO/2 keg dispenser, for traveling
Several Cornelius keg rebuild kits (gaskets relief valves ect) and dispensing equipment.
2 cooper wort cooling coils.
1 Hot tank heat exchanging cooper coil
In line Filtered aerator (dairy quality stainless steel) for aerating wort prior to pitching yeast- necessary to fully activate the yeast -- enhancing beer flavor
All required hoses and dairy quality stainless steel connecting clamps for transferring product.
All CO/2 equipment tank and regulators for carbonating.
2 propane tanks
All associated specialty equipment to brew any style of Hand Crafted beer from start and finish.
Recipe for "Alpha Amber Ale"
Assist with set up and advice -- will assist with First Batch if asked.
10K invested asking - $ 7500

I'd look at this and price it out separately. As you said, assuming everything is in good condition:

Full Digital 2050 - $4,000
Ordinary Conical - $700
Temp Controlled Conical - $900 (I know they cost a lot more but I don't value having the temp control integrated)
12 Corny Kegs - $500
Co2 Keg dispenser (not sure what this is, assume it's just a tank & regulator) - $100
Copper immersion chillers - price would range on size but for sake of argument say $80 for both
O2 Aerator - again, not quite sure what he's specifying but figure $50.
2 Propane Tanks - $60 for both.

There's some other items (hoses, clamps, etc) so maybe add in a couple bucks for those but I still come up with a value of $6,500 or so. 7,500 isn't unreasonable... I do believe it when he says he has over $10K invested... but I wouldn't buy it unless I could get it for under $7K. I'd guess that if you offered him $7K cash for it, he'd jump on it.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby chronlord » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:31 am

Hey pclemon! Thank you for taking the time to respond, my friend. I ran the same numbers you did and didn't "see" how he could have 10K invested. There must be a lot of little stuff he didn't include in the ad.

The other concern I have is being able to brew 5 gallon batches on a 20 gal. system. From what I've read, it's really impractical; essentially rendering the SMART digital system useless.

Here's my reply to his ad. What other questions would be important to ask before committing to buy this beastly home brew behemoth?
===========
Hello,

I'm interested in purchasing your brewing equipment as listed on Craigslist. I am a serious buyer with cash in hand, but I need to know exactly which items are included in the package.

A few questions:

n When was the Tippy purchased?
n Is the Tippy a BRUSHED stainless or just regular stainless?
n How many batches have been brewed on it?
n Any cosmetic damage or operational issues with your Tippy?
n What's the status on the warranty?
n What brand are the conicals? When were they purchased?
n Would you describe the keg dispenser? Is it a jockey box or different? Please clarify.
n What exactly is included in "all associated specialty equipment"? An itemized list would be helpful.

I'm a serious buyer with cash in hand. Just need to clarify a few of these things before I offer to purchase.

The price you're asking sounds reasonable, I'd just like to know a bit more.

Please call me to discuss. I live in Fresno and am willing to drive to pick up.

Cheers!
===========

Thanks again for the feedback and tips, pclemon. More investigation is definitely needed.

Cheers!
chronlord
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby pclemon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:57 am

Correct - brewing 5 gallon batches on that renders most of the automation useless... but if you're going to have 26 gallon conicals, why are you going to keep doing 5 gallon batches.

The 2050 is a $5,000 unit (add in shipping and he might have paid 5,400)
Ordinary 26 gallon conical, shipped is $1,200
Heated/Cooled Conical, shipped would be close to $2,600
That alone is over $9K. The $10K number is quite realistic. Those "fittings" can add up to significant dollars too if they're SS quick-disconnects or tri-clamps.

You asked how many batches he's brewed with it.... not sure what value the answer to that gives you. Clearly you want to know what kind of condition the stuff is in, but it could have 5 batches on it and beat to sh*t or could have 50 batches on it and look brand new. You asked him about a warranty - I wasn't aware that they even came with a warranty (or more likely a 90 day warranty).

I can't think of any questions other than the usual stuff. Make sure anything that's electronic works, all the kegs hold pressure, Otherwise most of the issues with such things are going to be cosmetic issues that you'll see in pictures or in person.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby chronlord » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:21 pm

I would simply like the option of pilot brewing 5 gallon batches ... and brewing small batches of mead now and then. I have my old carboys that might still be useful. I'm buying the larger version because I frequently brew with friends and thought the 2050 might be able to serve double duty.

I hadn't realized those particular conicals were so pricey. Add in the brushed stainless upgrade and full SMART package to the 2050? Yup, now the $10k number sounds accurate. Might just be a good deal after all.

Yes, I guess a couple of my questions are moot, but it doesn't hurt to know the "mileage", as it were. All things being equal, a piece that's been used more will typically have more wear and tear? As you said, I'll be seeing it in person to answer all those types of questions.

I'll try to post some pictures if he has any.

Thanks much for your advice! 8)
chronlord
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to Brewing Sculptures