Upgrade to Full Digital

Discussion of B3 Brewing Sculptures. How to best use your B3 brewing system, what the options are like, anything to do with the systems.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Upgrade to Full Digital

Postby WallyGH » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:48 pm

Does anyone have experience upgrading a newer (less than 2 year old) tippy dump to full digital?

I called customer support and they indicated that I would need to send the sculpture back to be retrofitted. My sculpture appears to have the structure under the HLT to support the different burner and my kettles have thermowells.
WallyGH
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Re: Upgrade to Full Digital

Postby Monster Mash » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:29 am

It's not difficult to automate almost any brew sculpture, you just need to know a little about electricity and know a good welder.

More Beer uses Johnson controllers, I would use DIN controllers instead and build a box for them. You will save a lot of money if you DIY...
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Re: Re: Upgrade to Full Digital

Postby usmcruz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:44 am

Monster Mash wrote:It's not difficult to automate almost any brew sculpture, you just need to know a little about electricity and know a good welder.

More Beer uses Johnson controllers, I would use DIN controllers instead and build a box for them. You will save a lot of money if you DIY...

+1
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby cyabob » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:05 am

I have the same question about upgrading my 1550 to full digital. Are there plans available? The more detailed the better. I am more of a chemist than an engineer. :D

Thanks!
cyabob
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Postby Vintage63 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:51 pm

I have a 1550 tippy digital set-up and wanted to upgrade to full digital. I am by no means an engineer or have the time to spend on a DIY upgrade, so I called More Beer to see what it would take. I was quoted $1,900 up to $2,400 to upgrade depending on whether or not I shipped it or brought it to their shop myself.

Seems like a lot considering if I would have just ordered it from the start, it would have been $1,350. I am still unsure on what the extra $500+ is for. I haven't heard anything back yet from More Beer.

More to come I guess...
Vintage63
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby pclemon » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:36 am

Vintage63 wrote:I have a 1550 tippy digital set-up and wanted to upgrade to full digital. I am by no means an engineer or have the time to spend on a DIY upgrade, so I called More Beer to see what it would take. I was quoted $1,900 up to $2,400 to upgrade depending on whether or not I shipped it or brought it to their shop myself.

Seems like a lot considering if I would have just ordered it from the start, it would have been $1,350. I am still unsure on what the extra $500+ is for. I haven't heard anything back yet from More Beer.

More to come I guess...

At the end of the day, does it matter what the "extra" is for? They quote you a price and you have the option of paying it, or not. Not saying you shouldn't ask the question but don't be surprised if they just say to you "that's what we charge to do it".

I sent B3 a note a few months back on something they sell that is just a few miscellaneous pieces put together and they wanted way more in $$ than if I bought the parts separately. The note I got back from them was "that's what we charge".
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Upgrade to Full Digital

Postby BrewBum » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:41 am

It's a business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Postby usmcruz » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:08 am

At the end of the day it's your responsibility as a consumer to find the best deal for your wallet. Im loyal to no brew store, if i can find it cheaper somewhere else i will. They got a buisness to run we have families to feed.
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Monster Mash » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:16 am

Vintage63 wrote:I have a 1550 tippy digital set-up and wanted to upgrade to full digital. I am by no means an engineer or have the time to spend on a DIY upgrade, so I called More Beer to see what it would take. I was quoted $1,900 up to $2,400 to upgrade depending on whether or not I shipped it or brought it to their shop myself.

I would do it for you for less but I'd need to see what you have, you're probably no where near me though.
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Return to Brewing Sculptures