Location of valve/thermo on 15 gal kettle or mash tun?

Discussion of B3 Brewing Sculptures. How to best use your B3 brewing system, what the options are like, anything to do with the systems.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Location of valve/thermo on 15 gal kettle or mash tun?

Postby valkyrie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:46 pm

I'm finally adding weldless fittings to my morebeer 15 gallon heavy duty kettle (same as B3 I understand). As I'm trying to model mine after the b3, can anyone tell me the height from the kettle bottom to the center of the valve and thermo port on your mash tun? Much thanks, I want to be sure I drill in the right spots to fit under the morebeer false bottom. Cheers.
valkyrie
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: Location of valve/thermo on 15 gal kettle or mash tun?

Postby BeerPal » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:47 pm

Since I use a converted 1/2 bbl keg for my boil kettle, I can really answer your question. But I will say that on the off chance that you don't realise this ('cause it seems like maybe you don't), MoreBeer and B3 are one and the same company. "B3" is a nickname, taken from "Beer, Beer & More Beer".
"Make beer not war"

Currently fermenting: Nothing
Conditioning: Firestone Walker Pale 31 clone
On draught: Nothing

Watch episodes of BYOB TV: http://www.kofytv.com/byob-tv/archive/
BeerPal
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby valkyrie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:09 pm

BeerPal wrote:Since I use a converted 1/2 bbl keg for my boil kettle, I can really answer your question. But I will say that on the off chance that you don't realise this ('cause it seems like maybe you don't), MoreBeer and B3 are one and the same company. "B3" is a nickname, taken from "Beer, Beer & More Beer".

Yes, I figured as much. :) I was trying to say my kettles are the same as the morebeer/b3 heavy-duty kettles. Therefore, if someone with one of the brewstructures and the 15-gallon kettles could do a measurement for me, it would give me an idea of where to put my holes for the valve and thermo.

Thanks!
valkyrie
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Monster Mash » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:57 am

I personally would stay away from using a FB in a mash tun. A stainless braid works much better and is cheaper. As far as the thermometer goes you should figure out what he least amount of grain you will use in a batch and make sure the thermometer gets covered with that amount, some people complain B3's thermo's are too high.

Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Postby pclemon » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:14 am

Agree with Craigs points - and only add that if you're going to direct fire the MT, you want to make sure the temp probe isn't so low it might be impacted by the burner.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:16 am

I have a question for you guys that have temp probes in the mash tun, do you have a hard time mashing in the grains without hitting the probes ?

I use a 12" thermometer that sticks down through the lid, so I have no issue while mashing in.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Postby valkyrie » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:50 am

Unfortunately, I've committed to the false bottom (it's enroute to me today). So, my request for the measurements still stands.

From my recollection of my last 15-gallon kettle, getting the valve as low as possible and the thermo directly above it put the therm at about the 4.5-5 gallon level. While this isn't great for 5-gallon batches, it should be fine for the mash, especially with a FB that sits at almost 2 gallons (which the B3 FB does). A small grain bill might just barely cover the thermo, but that should work. I've also thought about using an in-line thermo to control the pump instead of the tank thermo.
valkyrie
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Monster Mash » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:44 am

As you can see in my pic above the Bi-Metal thermometer is @ the 9 o'clock position and it sits just below the halfway mark of the MT. At the 2 o'clock position is a thermowell for a probe. I also use a digital thermometer through the lid so I get the different temps from the top, middle and bottom.

If my grain bill doesn't hit the Bi-Metal I still have the probe and digital thermometer.
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Postby pclemon » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:46 pm

Monster Mash wrote:As you can see in my pic above the Bi-Metal thermometer is @ the 9 o'clock position and it sits just below the halfway mark of the MT. At the 2 o'clock position is a thermowell for a probe. I also use a digital thermometer through the lid so I get the different temps from the top, middle and bottom.

If my grain bill doesn't hit the Bi-Metal I still have the probe and digital thermometer.

Curious how much temperature differentiation you typically see.
Pete
pclemon

Postby Monster Mash » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:04 pm

pclemon wrote:
Monster Mash wrote:As you can see in my pic above the Bi-Metal thermometer is @ the 9 o'clock position and it sits just below the halfway mark of the MT. At the 2 o'clock position is a thermowell for a probe. I also use a digital thermometer through the lid so I get the different temps from the top, middle and bottom.

Curious how much temperature differentiation you typically see.

It really depends on the size and thickness of the mash. When doing a mashout the top hits the temp first, then the middle and I stop the mashout when the bottom probe reaches 168.

There can be up to a 15 degree temp difference while mashing out.
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Postby Steve Juilianna » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:18 pm

turbo_ale wrote:I have a question for you guys that have temp probes in the mash tun, do you have a hard time mashing in the grains without hitting the probes ?

Yup! Always hit the probe :evil:
Steve Juilianna
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Return to Brewing Sculptures