Mash Tun Pick Up Tube

Discussion of B3 Brewing Sculptures. How to best use your B3 brewing system, what the options are like, anything to do with the systems.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mash Tun Pick Up Tube

Postby Vintage63 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:38 pm

I have been brewing on a 1550 system for about a year and I average about 68-69% efficiency. When in the "locked" position, the mash tun does not sit level and the drain valve is situated slightly "up".

I figured that when I am draining to the boil kettle and sparging, a good amount of the sugars are sitting to the back of the mash tun. So, I have been using a pick up tube to help grab those sugars.

I have finally got the mash tun level. Should I still use a pick up tube to grab sugars from the center of the mash tun? Or is draining out the valve better in any way?

Any opinions out there?

Thanks for the feedback!
Vintage63
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: Mash Tun Pick Up Tube

Postby pclemon » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:50 am

Not sure how the MT's in the Sculpture's work/siphon, so having a difficult time envisioning what you're describing - a picture would help.

It would seem to me that if you're getting 70% efficiency on the system there are likely any number of things you could do to boost that. You don't say what your sparge methodology is either (batch/fly/no)??
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Monster Mash » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:20 am

pclemon wrote:Not sure how the MT's in the Sculpture's work/siphon, so having a difficult time envisioning what you're describing - a picture would help.

It would seem to me that if you're getting 70% efficiency on the system there are likely any number of things you could do to boost that. You don't say what your sparge methodology is either (batch/fly/no)??

I agree, it really depends on if you are batch or fly sparging. It is more critical to get all of the liquid out when batch sparging.
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Postby Vintage63 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:15 pm

Thanks guys. I agree, should have given more info up front.

It is 15 gallon stainless, flat bottom mash tun. There is 2 gallons of dead space under a flat stainless false bottom and the drain valve sits approx. 1 inch from the bottom of the vessel. I always recirculate and do a mash out at 168 and let that rest for 10 minutes.

I fly sparge, keeping approx. 1 inch of water onto of the grain. I run off approx. 1 qt per minute into the kettle to achieve an 8 gallon pre-boil volume and shoot for 6 gallons at the end of the boil.

My boil off rate is pretty high (approx. 25%) and I have always attributed that to the wide kettle. I'm no scientist, but it seems to be that the more surface area of wort in the kettle provides more area for evaporation.

So, do you guys a pick up tube on a flat bottom mash vessel is helping or hurting? Like anything else, just brewing will determine that, right!
Vintage63
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby pclemon » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:45 am

Vintage63 wrote:Thanks guys. I agree, should have given more info up front.

It is 15 gallon stainless, flat bottom mash tun. There is 2 gallons of dead space under a flat stainless false bottom and the drain valve sits approx. 1 inch from the bottom of the vessel. I always recirculate and do a mash out at 168 and let that rest for 10 minutes.

I fly sparge, keeping approx. 1 inch of water onto of the grain. I run off approx. 1 qt per minute into the kettle to achieve an 8 gallon pre-boil volume and shoot for 6 gallons at the end of the boil.

My boil off rate is pretty high (approx. 25%) and I have always attributed that to the wide kettle. I'm no scientist, but it seems to be that the more surface area of wort in the kettle provides more area for evaporation.

So, do you guys a pick up tube on a flat bottom mash vessel is helping or hurting? Like anything else, just brewing will determine that, right!

IMO, it sounds like by the time you've collected your run-off the liquid level in the mash would be all the way through the grain bed and you're just talking about capturing a gallon of wort (that should be pretty low in sugar content by this time) that's below your false bottom. I can't imagine that the pick-up is really helping or hurting you.
Pete
pclemon

Postby Vintage63 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:01 am

Thanks Pete for the feedback! I plan to run it without the pick up and compare notes from previous brews.
Vintage63
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby pclemon » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:36 am

Vintage63 wrote:Thanks Pete for the feedback! I plan to run it without the pick up and compare notes from previous brews.

I re-read what you wrote and to be clear, when sparging are you keeping an inch of water on top of your grain all the way through the sparge process or are you letting the water drain down through the grainbed so that, ideally, the last of the wort draining through the grain is filling the kettle?
Pete
pclemon

Return to Brewing Sculptures