Which temp. controllwr would you use for direct fire RIMS.

Discussion of B3 Brewing Sculptures. How to best use your B3 brewing system, what the options are like, anything to do with the systems.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Which temp. controllwr would you use for direct fire RIMS.

Postby Brewtime » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:14 am

So I am rebuilding my control box for my Brutus 10 knockoff and I thought if I am going to rebuild it then I should at least look into replacing the guts of the thing. So here is my quandary. should I go with the

Love TS2-010
http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Temperature/TemperatureSwitches/DigitalPanelMount/SeriesTS2/Specs

Or go with

Auberin 1/16 DIN PID Temperature Controller (Relay Output)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-16-DIN-UNIVERSAL-PID-TEMPERATURE-CONTROLLER-/200404683527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ea90ccb07

I need them to fire the Asco valves on the burners so if I go with the Aubins do I need to purchace anything elss.

I asked this question over at HBT and the crickets are still chirping.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Re: Which temp. controllwr would you use for direct fire RIM

Postby Monster Mash » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:52 am

I would go with the Auberins only because it is cheaper and has more functions. You need to purchase a probe separately with the Love and the Auberins comes with it. Both of them will do the job that you want to do.
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Postby rplace » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:45 am

the Auberin has more lights and buttons so it MUST be better. :roll:
rplace
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Da Yooper » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:07 am

I know w this is an old post but how would this control temp? Don't you have to control the heat applied first? Gas fired or electric? A unit like that runs full on or full off right. What is the temp range from off to back on, how close can it be set? More information on the intended use would be needed to give the correct answer. Looks like a temp monitor to me.
Da Yooper
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby pclemon » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:19 am

Da Yooper wrote:I know w this is an old post but how would this control temp? Don't you have to control the heat applied first? Gas fired or electric? A unit like that runs full on or full off right. What is the temp range from off to back on, how close can it be set? More information on the intended use would be needed to give the correct answer. Looks like a temp monitor to me.

They are temp monitors with outputs to be connected to relays which will turn on/off electric heating elements or gas valves or pumps. They have features that allow you input paramaters that - for example - if the temp reading from the probe goes to 152, turn on the pump until it reaches 154 (with the pump pushing the wort through a RIMS or HERMS system).
Pete
pclemon

Postby Brewtime » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:42 am

pclemon wrote:
Da Yooper wrote:I know w this is an old post but how would this control temp? Don't you have to control the heat applied first? Gas fired or electric? A unit like that runs full on or full off right. What is the temp range from off to back on, how close can it be set? More information on the intended use would be needed to give the correct answer. Looks like a temp monitor to me.

They are temp monitors with outputs to be connected to relays which will turn on/off electric heating elements or gas valves or pumps. They have features that allow you input paramaters that - for example - if the temp reading from the probe goes to 152, turn on the pump until it reaches 154 (with the pump pushing the wort through a RIMS or HERMS system).

I have moved away from a Direct Fire RIMS setup. However this is how I ran mine. I continulally ran the pump and recirculated the wort form the bottom of the mashtun to the top of the mash bed. If I wanted my mash to maintain a temp of 152 I would set the temp controller to 152-153. if the temo of the wort fell below 150 then the burners would ingnite and raise the temp until the temp of the mash would reach 152-153. then the burner would turn off. This method worked for me.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Da Yooper » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:20 am

Thanks for the replies. Someday I would like to be able to recirculate wort from mt to hlt and back. Ahh hell may as well add it now. Thanks
Da Yooper
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Da Yooper » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:42 am

Which way would is best-- wort through hlt or water from hlt through mt?
Da Yooper
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby pclemon » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:38 am

Da Yooper wrote:Which way would is best-- wort through hlt or water from hlt through mt?

Wort through HLT. By pulling the wort from the bottom of the MT and heating it through the HLT or through a RIMS tube and returning it to the top you are able to set the grain bed as well as ensure the wort is in continual motion therefore minimizing hot/cold spots in the mash.

If you're recirculating hot water through a tube that's immersed in the mash by its very nature you're going to have hot/cold spots since you're relying on convection to move the energy around.
Pete
pclemon

Postby Da Yooper » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:23 am

thanks Pete, I do have the parts to add this to my system. Only have 1 question-- would 3/8 copper tube work for the coils in the HLT?
Da Yooper
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby pclemon » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:08 am

Da Yooper wrote:thanks Pete, I do have the parts to add this to my system. Only have 1 question-- would 3/8 copper tube work for the coils in the HLT?

In most cases, yes... ideally you want the diameter & length of the tube to be in synch with the amount of wort you're pushing through it so that it's in contact for sufficient period to absorb the heat from the surrounding water. Most HERMS coils I've seen are 25' of either 3/8" or 1/2" copper or stainless steel.
Pete
pclemon

Postby Da Yooper » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:22 am

Thanks again Pete
Da Yooper
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to Brewing Sculptures