Hating the whole chilling process--help!

Discussion of B3 Brewing Sculptures. How to best use your B3 brewing system, what the options are like, anything to do with the systems.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Hating the whole chilling process--help!

Postby dbails » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:42 pm

I am beginning to hate brewing! One of my biggest issues….when I am chilling the hot wort (I go from my 1550 into a Therminator), I always have trouble. I used to do it non-assisted and always had trouble getting a good flow going…often would try to lift up the piping hot wort pot and place it higher to get a better effect from gravity. Finally gave up on that and started running the hot wort through the pump, then into the chiller. This is only moderately better….Last night, first brew of the year, and I couldn't get the damn wort through the chiller at all for about 20 minutes. Sat there squeezing the hoses and shutting it off and on, trying to build pressure. Finally got about 8 gallons in carboys but lost a few.

It's driving me nuts. This last beer was a 10 gallon czech pils, 4 ounces of hop pellets…all pretty standard stuff. I clean and oil the pump, same with the Therminator. Any thoughts? What gives? Thanks, braumeisters.
dbails
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: Hating the whole chilling process--help!

Postby turbo_ale » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:43 pm

I had problems with my March pump, the impeller was tight on the shaft, plus the Teflon bearing was just about gone, oversized to the point that the impeller surface was rubbing against the housing surface. I polished both the shaft and impeller ID, installed a new improved Teflon bearing, now it works like never before. I cannot believe the flow and volume I am getting, even at boling temps. No cavitation, primes instantly with boiling temps.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby dbails » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:22 am

Thanks, Turbo. I'll give it a shot. Did you get those supplies right here? (I am not exactly a handy man.) The pump works fine during the other brewing stages, btw, but nonetheless I'll try your suggestions!
dbails
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:12 am

ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Postby MuddyMikes » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:01 pm

Dbails,

Please review this this thread. I alos have a 1550 and the first thing I did when I got it was to plumb my March Pump with a bleeder valve to ensure all of the trapped air in the pump head was purged. YOu can use a small collection bucket to prevent loss of wort or a messy floor.
Wine is but
single broth.
Ale is meat,
drink and cloth.

16th Century English Proverb
MuddyMikes

Postby pclemon » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:48 am

MuddyMikes wrote:Dbails,

Please review this this thread. I alos have a 1550 and the first thing I did when I got it was to plumb my March Pump with a bleeder valve to ensure all of the trapped air in the pump head was purged. YOu can use a small collection bucket to prevent loss of wort or a messy floor.

I agree that a bleeder valve should solve the problem. Something else to consider it to make sure the pump has liquid running to before connecting up all the tubing post pump.

I run a HERMS system and if I were to connect the MT to the pump and the pump to the HLT and the HLT back to the MT and THEN turn on the pump, it just sits their unable to move anything because the liquid out of the MT is unable to easily displace all that air in front of it. If I connect the MT to the Pump and connect just the end of the hose to the pump that's supposed to run to the HLT, open up the valve from the MT to flush the pump with fluid and THEN connect that hose to the HLT, the pump will push the liquid through the rest of the way.
Pete
pclemon

Postby krizwit » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:52 pm

Another thing to get your pump working is to just turn the pump on and off quickly. I almost never use my "bleeder" valve.

I almost wonder if your chiller is getting partially clogged. If your wort is going from the BK, to the pump, to chiller then to fermenter(ideally below BK) I dont see what the problem is.
krizwit
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby MullerBrau » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:28 pm

You have to be able to get the air out before it will pump. I learned the hard way. Now I don't even use my bleeder valve anymore. Everything should vent upwards. I hold my output hose up high until I feel it get heavier and then drop it down quick.

If you get one low point with liquid in it and air locked between it and the pump, it will be trouble.
MullerBrau
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby MattM1050 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:01 pm

Hey dbails,

It sounds like the issue might be more in the chiller than the pump. Do you know if you're using the "high flow" pump rather than the old 809? When did you purchase the BrewSculpture - I can look to see if you're using a new pump or not. If so - the pump should definitely not be the issue.

This being said, the Therminator plate chiller has very narrow plates, and I've heard more than once that it clogs easily. I have never used one myself, but have used another plate chiller at a friends house and we talked about how he had to clean it religiously otherwise it clogs. Do you have the back flush assembly? You could also use the following part:

http://morebeer.com/products/brass-hose ... wivel.html

This will screw onto the wort-in of your Therminator, and you can then screw the hose into that (1/2" x 3/4" fitting). Just turn the hose up full blast and run for 30-45 seconds right after transferring. When you start your boil, you could also fill the hot liquor tank with 3-4 gallons of water, heat that up, and run it through the chiller prior to connecting it to your boil kettle. This will help to sanitize it, as well as hopefully clear it out prior to transferring.

Hopefully this helps a little. Very sorry that you're having some trouble, but please don't hesitate to send me a PM if you're still experiencing issues and I'll try to help however possible.

Cheers!
Matt Monroe
Digital Marketing Manager
MoreFlavor! Inc.
--
Primary: Empty!?
Kegged: Pale Ale (Simcoe / Mosaic), Kolsch
Up Next: IPA (Columbus / Centennial / Cascade)
MattM1050
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Return to Brewing Sculptures