Heat exchanger holding water?

Discussion of B3 Brewing Sculptures. How to best use your B3 brewing system, what the options are like, anything to do with the systems.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Re: Heat exchanger holding water?

Postby pclemon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:22 am

turbo_ale wrote:On the other hand John Palmer was talking about discolored copper wort immersion chillers and said something along the line, paraphrase, (when you put your discolored copper chiller in wort, then after boil it is shinier, the acidic wort cleaned the copper of oxides, where did it go, in the beer.) Now copper itself is not harmful in small doses, it's the oxides which could cause off flavors. So I think he was getting at cleaning the copper with PBW and the like to keep the copper shiny, and not dark or discolored.

Doesn't this also carry over for plate chillers or CF chillers? That oxide layer is going to be present unless you use something other than copper. If someone only brews twice a year I agree that it probably makes sense to dip or soak the chiller in something acidic to clean it before it goes in the brew kettle but if you're brewing every couple of weeks I can't imagine the layer of oxide is substantial enough to do much of anything.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Jcarsten » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:16 am

Right before it was posted here yesterday, I'd read on some other forums where people have good results with a starsan soak on their copper immersion chillers. Since this is a new system and I had planned on doing a thorough cleaning of the pots one night this week before brewing this weekend, I am going to just run about 5 gal of starsan through everything. Start at the HLT and pump it through to the MLT. I can soak the outside of the heat exchanger when I do that, and can easily recirc back through the inside of the exchanger while doing it. That should also give the pumps, hoses and ball valves a good rinse.

I would think the same could apply to a plate chiller. After flushing it post chill, you could pump some starsan through it and use that to clean the plates.
Jcarsten
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:18 am

Jcarsten wrote:Right before it was posted here yesterday, I'd read on some other forums where people have good results with a starsan soak on their copper immersion chillers. .

That is what I do. I use to throw the chiller in the boil the last 20 miutes now i just plop it in the buck of starsan that i make up for drew day.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Previous

Return to Brewing Sculptures