Soon to order the 2050D

Discussion of B3 Brewing Sculptures. How to best use your B3 brewing system, what the options are like, anything to do with the systems.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Re: Soon to order the 2050D

Postby pclemon » Tue May 21, 2013 9:50 am

shecallsmeblue wrote:
usmcruz wrote:How does that mash tun keep the temp steady during the mash? Is their a coil in the mash tun or hlt?

Yeah, it has a heat exchanger in the HLT and the thermal mass of the grain will slow any temp fluctuations a little. (Very little.) I'll just turn the pump on when needed.

You're likely to find that the easiest way to manage a HERMS system is to leave the pump running and tweak the temp of the HLT. I mash in a cooler, not a pot, but run my HERMS for the full mash cycle. I keep the temp in the HLT 3-4 degree higher than my desired mash temp and keep an eye on the temp of the wort that's flowing out of the coil. I find that if I keep the HLT burner on at it's absolute minimum it puts just enough heat back into the pot to keep it at that temp.

Running the pump full-time has the added benefit that when it comes time to transfer to the boil kettle the mash bed is so well set that you get crystal clear wort right from the start.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby shecallsmeblue » Tue May 21, 2013 10:54 am

pclemon wrote:You're likely to find that the easiest way to manage a HERMS system is to leave the pump running and tweak the temp of the HLT. I mash in a cooler, not a pot, but run my HERMS for the full mash cycle. I keep the temp in the HLT 3-4 degree higher than my desired mash temp and keep an eye on the temp of the wort that's flowing out of the coil. I find that if I keep the HLT burner on at it's absolute minimum it puts just enough heat back into the pot to keep it at that temp.

Running the pump full-time has the added benefit that when it comes time to transfer to the boil kettle the mash bed is so well set that you get crystal clear wort right from the start.

Interestingly, I was considering this also. I was going to heat my liquor to a degree or two above my mash temp, then transfer to the tun. From there, I was going to heat it to striking temp (in the tun), then mash in. Then, leave the flame on low for the HLT and cycle through. My reason for this was the clarity as you stated, but thought I was complicating the process.
The Angry Cajun Brewery
----------------------------------

Primary : Northern English Brown Ale
Secondary : Pending
On Tap : Saison
Bottled : Imperial IPA
Up Next : Vienna Topaz SMaSH
shecallsmeblue
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby pclemon » Tue May 21, 2013 11:27 am

shecallsmeblue wrote:Interestingly, I was considering this also. I was going to heat my liquor to a degree or two above my mash temp, then transfer to the tun. From there, I was going to heat it to striking temp (in the tun), then mash in. Then, leave the flame on low for the HLT and cycle through. My reason for this was the clarity as you stated, but thought I was complicating the process.

Try it both ways and make up your mind but IMO, the way I'm doing it is the simpler way. I can sit there and read a book or do something else and so long as I can look up every 5 or so minutes and check to see that everything is maintaining temperatures I rarely have to fiddle with anything over the 60 minutes. The other option is that you need to keep an eye on the mash temp and the HLT temp and then turn the pump on/off if/when you see the mash temp changing.
Pete
pclemon

Postby shecallsmeblue » Tue May 21, 2013 11:38 am

pclemon wrote:Try it both ways and make up your mind but IMO, the way I'm doing it is the simpler way. I can sit there and read a book or do something else and so long as I can look up every 5 or so minutes and check to see that everything is maintaining temperatures I rarely have to fiddle with anything over the 60 minutes. The other option is that you need to keep an eye on the mash temp and the HLT temp and then turn the pump on/off if/when you see the mash temp changing.

I'm going to try it out as described above first I think. To me, it makes sense. Then when I want to mash out, I simply (hopefully) turn the flame up on the HLT, and watch the temp rise in the mash gradually. How much control over the heat do you have this way?
The Angry Cajun Brewery

shecallsmeblue
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby pclemon » Tue May 21, 2013 12:03 pm

shecallsmeblue wrote:I'm going to try it out as described above first I think. To me, it makes sense. Then when I want to mash out, I simply (hopefully) turn the flame up on the HLT, and watch the temp rise in the mash gradually. How much control over the heat do you have this way?

Lots of control. My HLT typically has at least 15-20 gallons in it (25 gallon pot) so the temperature isn't going to change greatly on it unless you add cold water or really turn the burner up. My one criticism of the HERMS system is that it takes a while to do a true mash-out. If I'm mashing at 150 (and my HLT is at 153-154), at the end of the 60 minutes I kick the burner up and it will still take at least 10-15 minutes to get to 172 degrees. The pump can only pull/push so much liquid so it then takes at least another 20 minutes to get the mash temp anywhere near 168.

I usually don't bother with waiting for the mash to get to 168. I get my sparge water up to temp and then switch it over to pump to the boil kettle. At that point the mash is usually in the high 150's.
Pete
pclemon

Postby shecallsmeblue » Tue May 21, 2013 12:15 pm

pclemon wrote:Lots of control. My HLT typically has at least 15-20 gallons in it (25 gallon pot) so the temperature isn't going to change greatly on it unless you add cold water or really turn the burner up. My one criticism of the HERMS system is that it takes a while to do a true mash-out. If I'm mashing at 150 (and my HLT is at 153-154), at the end of the 60 minutes I kick the burner up and it will still take at least 10-15 minutes to get to 172 degrees. The pump can only pull/push so much liquid so it then takes at least another 20 minutes to get the mash temp anywhere near 168.

I usually don't bother with waiting for the mash to get to 168. I get my sparge water up to temp and then switch it over to pump to the boil kettle. At that point the mash is usually in the high 150's.

Thanks for the input man! I may follow the same route and just sparge once I've reached my water temp.
The Angry Cajun Brewery

shecallsmeblue
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Monster Mash » Tue May 21, 2013 12:41 pm

pclemon wrote:You're likely to find that the easiest way to manage a HERMS system is to leave the pump running and tweak the temp of the HLT. I mash in a cooler, not a pot, but run my HERMS for the full mash cycle. I keep the temp in the HLT 3-4 degree higher than my desired mash temp and keep an eye on the temp of the wort that's flowing out of the coil. I find that if I keep the HLT burner on at it's absolute minimum it puts just enough heat back into the pot to keep it at that temp.

I agree, I run my pump the entire mash and then just raise the temp of the HLT for the mash out. The wort going into the boil pot is completely clear of haze.
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Postby vjboxer » Tue May 28, 2013 10:18 am

Did someone mention crystal clear wort? I brewed this on Sunday. I don't run my pump the entire mash time it kicks on only to maintain the temp.

Enjoy your 2050!
On tap: Southern English Brown Ale, Brown Rye, Ho Ho Ho Holiday Ale (from the Stone book used dried chestnuts, juniper, caraway, white sage leaves)
Kegged and Conditioning: Consecration Ale
Bourbon Barrel: NOTHING
On Deck: Pale Ale
vjboxer

Postby Monster Mash » Tue May 28, 2013 2:17 pm

vjboxer wrote:Did someone mention crystal clear wort? I brewed this on Sunday. I don't run my pump the entire mash time it kicks on only to maintain the temp.

Enjoy your 2050!

Mine does the same, it turns on if the mash drops 1 degree and stops at the set temp.
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Postby MattM1050 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:30 pm

If you're having trouble getting to mash out temperatures (168/169°F) you could try kicking the flame on your HLT up, as well as turning the mash tun burner on low. This is pretty effective in raising from 150°F to 168°F pretty quickly. If you keep the mash tun flame low, you won't caramelize at all. Just a thought!

Cheers,
Matt
Matt Monroe
Digital Marketing Manager
MoreFlavor! Inc.
--
Primary: Empty!?
Kegged: Pale Ale (Simcoe / Mosaic), Kolsch
Up Next: IPA (Columbus / Centennial / Cascade)
MattM1050
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Previous

Return to Brewing Sculptures