Soon to order the 2050D

Discussion of B3 Brewing Sculptures. How to best use your B3 brewing system, what the options are like, anything to do with the systems.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Soon to order the 2050D

Postby shecallsmeblue » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:31 am

Hey guys! I figured rather than just reading posts, I'd join in on the discussion(s). I'm ordering a 2050 this week and just wanted to know if you guys had any advice/tips. I decided to go with the digital, but not the deluxe. Am I right in saying that all I'm giving up is the automated burners? So without the deluxe package, when I need to raise the temp in say the HLT, I'd have to light the burner myself, then turn it off when appropriate? I may order the deluxe, but I'd need more insight on what I'd be missing.
The Angry Cajun Brewery
----------------------------------

Primary : Northern English Brown Ale
Secondary : Pending
On Tap : Saison
Bottled : Imperial IPA
Up Next : Vienna Topaz SMaSH
shecallsmeblue
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: Soon to order the 2050D

Postby Brewtime » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:18 am

shecallsmeblue wrote:Hey guys! I figured rather than just reading posts, I'd join in on the discussion(s). I'm ordering a 2050 this week and just wanted to know if you guys had any advice/tips. I decided to go with the digital, but not the deluxe. Am I right in saying that all I'm giving up is the automated burners? So without the deluxe package, when I need to raise the temp in say the HLT, I'd have to light the burner myself, then turn it off when appropriate? I may order the deluxe, but I'd need more insight on what I'd be missing.

I say go all in on the automation. I built my own system and the auto lighting of my burners make brew day that much more enjoyable.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby MuddyMikes » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:02 am

I have to agree with Drew....if your budget can support the additional cost you'll be happier in the long run. It's what I have on my 1550.

But I will say this though, windy days can make keeping the pilot light lit for that burner a real challenge.
Wine is but
single broth.
Ale is meat,
drink and cloth.

16th Century English Proverb
MuddyMikes
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby shecallsmeblue » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:41 am

Thanks for the input guys! I like the idea of more automation, but I also worry about having more things that can break! I try to live by the K.I.S.S. philosophy when it comes to brewing. Of course though, this is the reason I chose the B3 sculptures over BM. I think I should be able to handle it if something does go awry.
The Angry Cajun Brewery

shecallsmeblue
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby MuddyMikes » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:50 am

I often quote the K.I.S.S. method to my kids, or anybody else who is looking to make something more complicated than necessary.
Wine is but
single broth.
Ale is meat,
drink and cloth.

16th Century English Proverb
MuddyMikes

Postby shecallsmeblue » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:55 am

It's a good philosophy to go by! Sometimes I go through my notes from when I first started brewing and see how far I've come with that. Brews with 2oz of wheat malt or crystal, etc. Had one pale ale I made (that wasn't the greatest) that had four types of crystal malt!
The Angry Cajun Brewery

shecallsmeblue
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby pclemon » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:10 am

shecallsmeblue wrote:Thanks for the input guys! I like the idea of more automation, but I also worry about having more things that can break! I try to live by the K.I.S.S. philosophy when it comes to brewing. Of course though, this is the reason I chose the B3 sculptures over BM. I think I should be able to handle it if something does go awry.

Then why even go with the digital option? Once upon a time I lusted after a fully automated/digital system. Then I gave up on that dream and decided to piece together my own system... and realized it's not difficult at all to maintain temps once you have a couple of brews under the belt and understand the system.
Pete
pclemon

Postby shecallsmeblue » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:34 am

pclemon wrote:Then why even go with the digital option? Once upon a time I lusted after a fully automated/digital system. Then I gave up on that dream and decided to piece together my own system... and realized it's not difficult at all to maintain temps once you have a couple of brews under the belt and understand the system.

Well, I brewed for years with a turkey fryer and cooler, and wanted an upgrade. I like the idea of the automation on the mash, so I can do step mashes, etc a little easier. It's the automated burners that I found superfluous. I know that I can control the temps on my own, as I have so many times, but I like the control of the HERMS system.
The Angry Cajun Brewery

shecallsmeblue
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby pclemon » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:44 am

shecallsmeblue wrote:
pclemon wrote:Then why even go with the digital option? Once upon a time I lusted after a fully automated/digital system. Then I gave up on that dream and decided to piece together my own system... and realized it's not difficult at all to maintain temps once you have a couple of brews under the belt and understand the system.

Well, I brewed for years with a turkey fryer and cooler, and wanted an upgrade. I like the idea of the automation on the mash, so I can do step mashes, etc a little easier. It's the automated burners that I found superfluous. I know that I can control the temps on my own, as I have so many times, but I like the control of the HERMS system.

I run a HERMS system and with the exception of an electronic thermometer to monitor my HLT water temp it's all manual. The pump stays on for the full length of the mash. The HLT stays 4-6 degrees above my mash temp and I leave the burner on at the absolute minimum and it keeps it right in that range. But I also mash in a cooler which is going to keep temps a little more stable than it would in a SS pot... but again, that's just a small learning curve to know what that is.
Pete
pclemon

Re: Re: Soon to order the 2050D

Postby usmcruz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:18 pm

shecallsmeblue wrote:Thanks for the input guys! I like the idea of more automation, but I also worry about having more things that can break! I try to live by the K.I.S.S. philosophy when it comes to brewing. Of course though, this is the reason I chose the B3 sculptures over BM. I think I should be able to handle it if something does go awry.

I owned a brew magic, and it was nice to brew on it, but cleaning sucked like every sculpture. Takes me 5 minutes to clean my current cooler setup, and no recirculating pbw, or recirculating period, and no need for electricity. Im a welder/fabricator by trade, and even with my skill set, tools at my fingertips, and 13 years of brewing under my belt with 3 out of the 13 brewing on a microbrewery level i still brew in coolers using a simple 2 tier stand. K.I.S.S is what i live by. When i was a new brewer i felt the need for all the gadgets and gizmos, but when the dust settles and you step back and really look at what it takes to produce award winning beer the cooler and pot is king. Did i just sway your decision on buying a sculpture? Nope, because like me back then your mind is set, but remember these words. {Flame suit on}
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby usmcruz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:15 am

I just want to apologize. I dont realize it when i type out my posts, but rereading my post i notice now that i came off sounding like a d$%#. I still stand by my thoughts on the subject, but could have put it better.:wink:
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby shecallsmeblue » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:06 pm

usmcruz wrote:I just want to apologize. I dont realize it when i type out my posts, but rereading my post i notice now that i came off sounding like a d$%#. I still stand by my thoughts on the subject, but could have put it better.:wink:

Don't even worry about it man. I completely understand what you meant, and coming from someone who has already owned a structure, it's welcomed advice. I can see where it takes the simplicity away to an extent, but I also love the convenience of the whole set up together and streamlined. I currently have no really organized methodology on brew day and still produce great beers, so I'm sure I'll continue to do so on this system.
The Angry Cajun Brewery

shecallsmeblue
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: Re: Soon to order the 2050D

Postby usmcruz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:00 pm

shecallsmeblue wrote:
Don't even worry about it man. I completely understand what you meant, and coming from someone who has already owned a structure, it's welcomed advice. I can see where it takes the simplicity away to an extent, but I also love the convenience of the whole set up together and streamlined. I currently have no really organized methodology on brew day and still produce great beers, so I'm sure I'll continue to do so on this system.

Cheers brother!:cool:
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby shecallsmeblue » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:14 pm

Paid for it today! Ended up purchasing the manual/analog system instead. I figure I could always purchase the controllers and stuff later if I choose to go digital. I just couldn't justify the almost 2k extra.
The Angry Cajun Brewery

shecallsmeblue
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby usmcruz » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:42 pm

Enjoy it brother! Post pics when you get it!
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Next

Return to Brewing Sculptures