Efficiency issues with first two brews on B3 3-tier system

Discussion of B3 Brewing Sculptures. How to best use your B3 brewing system, what the options are like, anything to do with the systems.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Re: Efficiency issues with first two brews on B3 3-tier syst

Postby Steve973 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:13 am

turbo_ale wrote:I have better sparging control with less astringency.

Oh, that's interesting. Does the crush affect tannin extraction? Or was your crush also breaking up the hulls?
Steve973
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby pclemon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:14 am

Steve973 wrote:

Oh, that's interesting. Does the crush affect tannin extraction? Or was your crush also breaking up the hulls?

If you grind so tightly that you're shredding the husks it's opening up more contact area of the husk and possible for more tannin extraction. I set my mill at .03 when I got it and haven't changed it.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:57 pm

Steve973 wrote:

The crush was causing lots of the grain to become like flower, so at sparging it was slow to sticky.
I have also started to use rice hulls, no more than 3% of the grain bill, I add these after the grain has been milled.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Postby Steve973 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:47 pm

I'm planning on getting a monster mill (MM3). Since it has a two-stage crush, is this type of mill a bit less vulnerable to shredding the husks and causing astringency? I could see how it might still pulverize the endosperm beyond what we want, but it is kinder to the hulls, right?
Steve973
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby pclemon » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:25 am

Steve973 wrote:I'm planning on getting a monster mill (MM3). Since it has a two-stage crush, is this type of mill a bit less vulnerable to shredding the husks and causing astringency? I could see how it might still pulverize the endosperm beyond what we want, but it is kinder to the hulls, right?

Shredding the husks is going to be more a factor of how small the gap is on the rollers that you set. The 3 roller design is to provide a more consistent crush (some people with a 2 roller design run their grain through twice).

I wouldn't worry terribly about potential astringency - you need to figure out for yourself what gap crush works best for you on your system. You want the finest crush you can get out of it until such time as it starts to be problematic in your system by causing stuck mashes.
Pete
pclemon

Previous

Return to Brewing Sculptures