Cleaning Jetted Burner?

Discussion of B3 Brewing Sculptures. How to best use your B3 brewing system, what the options are like, anything to do with the systems.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Cleaning Jetted Burner?

Postby sc5mu93 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:55 pm

My search-fu seems to be off today, so I can't find any post related to this.

I have had a b3-1550 for probably approaching 10 years now, and I am getting it ready for my spring brewing season after mothballing for the winter.

It was stored well during the winter, and was in working order last fall.

After testing it out the other day, I noticed that the HLT jetted burner (propane) attached to the honeywell regulator was not burning efficiently. Some of the jets wouldn't light or wouldn't stay lit. There is some garage-grime that I was able to wipe off the nozzles, but it didn't resolve the efficiency issue.

Is there a "proper" way to clean these? Do the nozzles unscrew? Has anyone else had a problem even similar to this?

Ideas?
sc5mu93
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: Cleaning Jetted Burner?

Postby MTodd493 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:17 am

I am not familiar with your piece of equipment, but if you are mechanically inclined you might try removing the burner(s) and blow them out with compressed air. More than likely some kind of insect has decided to spend the winter there and has plugged something up.
MTodd493
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:09 am

I do not have that particular type either; but I have blown my burners out with compressed air as well. Might be some spider webs....
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: Vienna Lager
Kegged: Brown Ale, Porter, Sweet Stout, IPA, Amber, Citra Pale Ale, Blonde Ale
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Cleaning Jetted Burner?

Postby Brewtime » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:46 am

The jets screw out if. If you need replacements let me know I have some that I no longer need
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby sc5mu93 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:04 pm

Brewtime wrote:The jets screw out if. If you need replacements let me know I have some that I no longer need

Thanks.
Two more quick questions: 1) What do you clean them with (safely)? and 2) is there any special prep that has to happen (to the threads) when reinstalling? eg. do they need to be doped or anything?

EDIT: and just for reference, the brass nozzles look similar to these.

sc5mu93
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby ConnieKeefe » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:09 am

Have you adjusted the vent on the side of the burner where the hose connects? It is a metal disc that you turn until the right o2 mixture is achieved.

Last edited by ConnieKeefe on Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
ConnieKeefe
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:54 am

ConnieKeefe wrote:Have you adjusted the vent on the side of the burner where the hose connects? It is a metal disc that you turn until the right o2 mixture is achieved.

Theses types of burners do not have the air dampers they are hard plumed
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Return to Brewing Sculptures