My electric brewery build

Discussion of B3 Brewing Sculptures. How to best use your B3 brewing system, what the options are like, anything to do with the systems.

Moderator: Moderator Team

My electric brewery build

Postby Brewtime » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:55 pm

So I am going all electric and I thought I would document it here. This has been a project that started in January and if all goes as plan it will be all wrapped up by the middle of May. I have to give props to my wife Jill she told me that if I am going to do this, spend the money an get your dream system because its going to be your last. :lol:

I spent monthS researching systems and what I wanted the brewery to do. I spent countless hours on http://www.theelectricbrewery.com I liked his set up and thought about building that one with modifications. I was going to re-purpose existing equipment to keep the cost down. I knew that I was going to buy the control panel and not do it DIY like I had before. I knew I was going to go with a 50A services so I can do back to back batches if I want to. 50A will allow me to run the HLT and BK elements at the same time.

Next was what will I use as a stand to hold the kettles My current stand would work but it would be tight as two of the kettles will have 5500W elements in them and the outlet box used took up the real estate between the kettles. Then My wife says " Build a new stand to accommodate everything". So I thought about another welded stand maybe this time Stainless steal. only problem is I cant weld. Then a friend told me about this product called 80/20 extruded aluminum they call it the Industrial Erector Set http://www.8020.net/. this is very cool stuff. I searched the Interwebs to see if any fellow homebrewers used this stuff to build a stand. I found a one Youtube videos but no real detail on any build. I found out that 80/20 Inc will design what ever you want free of charge and price it out and ship it as a kit that you assemble using only 1-2 tools. Needless to say I jumped on that and found a distributor and over the past week worked out a design. The beauty of this material is that you can change it when ever you want to . Can't do it with a welded frame.
It not cheap to buy it in the kit form but if you have the skills with AutoCad you can design your own and buy overrun material on ebay cheaper. I wanted to get all the material at once and not worry about having to have multiple orders. From the time you place your order to the time it hits your front door is 4-5 days. so here is what the new stand is going to look like.

This picture two of the casters are missing the stand will have 4 swivel locking casters. As more items come in I will post the build as it progresses
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Re: My electric brewery build

Postby pclemon » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:09 am

Maybe I'm not thinking of something here - but why build a stand out of metal for an electric brewery? Why not do something with cabinets and put a granite (or other) countertop on it?
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby rplace » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:44 am

^^ Yea that.

Maybe something like this but for three pots. I'm sure no matter how you end up it will be a fun project and all electric will be super cool. Good luck and great wife!

rplace
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby mr.gbu » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:02 am

Can't wait on see this build
mr.gbu
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Monster Mash » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:32 pm

How much bigger is the stand than the one you are selling?
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Postby Mike_ » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:06 pm

Brewtime wrote: Then a friend told me about this product called 80/20 extruded aluminum they call it the Industrial Erector Set http://www.8020.net/. this is very cool stuff. I searched the Interwebs to see if any fellow homebrewers used this stuff to build a stand. I found a one Youtube videos but no real detail on any build. I found out that 80/20 Inc will design what ever you want free of charge and price it out and ship it as a kit that you assemble using only 1-2 tools.

Just like the Strut Channel I used for mine! Supper cool looking so far Brewtime! cant wait to see finished!

ON TAP:Red Rye Ale 11/15/15 5% 15 gals
Ferming:
Next up:??????

Wine in bottle: 0 Aging in oak barrels: Cab Franc 195gallons

Don't fear the foam!!! (starsan foam that is)
Mike_
Keg (750 posts)

Postby Wild Bill » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:33 pm

I've used 80/20 for many work projects. It's light (aluminum), really nice to be able to make changes down the road, they make all kinds of profiles / parts / fasteners for it. You can make damn near anything with it. The down side is its cost and it would be a pain in the A$$ to keep clean in the brewery. The 80/20 Metric profiles are smooth with the exception of the T-Slot. I might look at that. BOSCH Rexroth also makes some T-Slot extruded aluminum that is smooth.

I don't know if I would personally use it for a brew stand but it would certainly be capable of it. If you use the right profiles, brackets, and fasteners, that stuff can hold a lot of weight!

Would love to see how your build progresses. I am also thinking of going electric, or at least 2/3 electric.
Wild Bill
Keg (750 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:37 pm

Wild Bill wrote:I've used 80/20 for many work projects. It's light (aluminum), really nice to be able to make changes down the road, they make all kinds of profiles / parts / fasteners for it. You can make damn near anything with it. The down side is its cost and it would be a pain in the A$$ to keep clean in the brewery. The 80/20 Metric profiles are smooth with the exception of the T-Slot. I might look at that. BOSCH Rexroth also makes some T-Slot extruded aluminum that is smooth.

I don't know if I would personally use it for a brew stand but it would certainly be capable of it. If you use the right profiles, brackets, and fasteners, that stuff can hold a lot of weight!

Would love to see how your build progresses. I am also thinking of going electric, or at least 2/3 electric.

They have different profiles where there are not t-slots on all sides that some of the sides are smooth.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Return to Brewing Sculptures