craigslist score & Wallace single tier

Discussion of B3 Brewing Sculptures. How to best use your B3 brewing system, what the options are like, anything to do with the systems.

Moderator: Moderator Team

craigslist score & Wallace single tier

Postby BeerPal » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:05 pm

Last week I found appox. $1500 worth 80/20 extrusions, connectors and casters on craigslist and picked them up for $350. I plan to build a Wallace single tier and load it up with Blichmann burners. Later on I want to automate it with a Blichmann Tower of Power.

"Make beer not war"

Currently fermenting: Nothing
Conditioning: Firestone Walker Pale 31 clone
On draught: Nothing

Watch episodes of BYOB TV: http://www.kofytv.com/byob-tv/archive/
BeerPal
Addict (5000 posts)

Re: craigslist score & Wallace single tier

Postby turbo_ale » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:03 pm

Great score.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby MullerBrau » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:46 am

Wow, that is quite the score. My buddy works for GM and he built one out of the same material. It looks sweet.
MullerBrau
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:48 am

Later to night I will post my 80/20 stand I love that stuff.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby rplace » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:43 am

Nice score indeed! I am a huge fan of the Blichmann burners. They have a killer stand that is not tall at all. Give some thought to building a platform that the burners sit on rather or bolt to rather than using just the burners mounted up high. I have some tall pots that sit low. Also rigged up a 3-way outlet to my tanks so no need to get into plumbing. The regulator hose on the BBurners are nice as well.

Mine has had a few changes recently...but this is the general idea.

rplace

Postby stusiegel » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:21 am

Question for rplace. Where did you buy the parts for your 3-way propane outlet? I need to build one.

Thanks for the picture. That is awesome.
stusiegel
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby rplace » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:50 am

stusiegel wrote:Question for rplace. Where did you buy the parts for your 3-way propane outlet? I need to build one.

eBay where else? I found RV places on line that sold dual ones and the owner said he would build me a triple but it was quite expensive. All you need are 5 parts and some Teflon tape. Super easy to put together and I don't end up with 2 or 3 partial tanks now. Run one to empty then swap. I really like it and no black pipe to mess with. Still not as "cool" as a properly plumbed stand but what the heck.

Here is some info to get you started
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=43001&hilit=brass

EDIT....not ebay I guess once I read my original post above. Give it a read should set you straight.
rplace

Postby pclemon » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:55 am

stusiegel wrote:Question for rplace. Where did you buy the parts for your 3-way propane outlet? I need to build one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DC ... mbrefin-20

Not exactly what Rich built - but a pre-made alternative.
Pete
pclemon

Postby rplace » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:41 am

That is actually pretty cool Pete...great for camping with that top option.
rplace

Postby Brewtime » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:29 am

The whole reason why I converted to electric. No more freezing tanks and running low on brewday. I had 4 dedicated 20 lb cylanders for brewing.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby rplace » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:58 am

I can't understand why I never get a frozen tank...not that I want one, just hear about it so often surprised it has not happened to me.
rplace

Postby pclemon » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:00 am

rplace wrote:That is actually pretty cool Pete...great for camping with that top option.

THey're great - get one of the lanterns that takes the screw-in propane tanks and you put it on the top outlet - and then use the others to run a gas stove or other items.

If I didn't put my propane tank in a water bath it would freeze up. Although I don't like the hassle of having to continually get tanks swapped/filled, THe cost & complexity of an electric system is off-putting to me. Seems like every other day there's someone on HBT putting up for sale a 1/2 finished electric panel.
Pete
pclemon

Postby Brewtime » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:24 pm

pclemon wrote:
rplace wrote:That is actually pretty cool Pete...great for camping with that top option.

THey're great - get one of the lanterns that takes the screw-in propane tanks and you put it on the top outlet - and then use the others to run a gas stove or other items.

If I didn't put my propane tank in a water bath it would freeze up. Although I don't like the hassle of having to continually get tanks swapped/filled, THe cost & complexity of an electric system is off-putting to me. Seems like every other day there's someone on HBT putting up for sale a 1/2 finished electric panel.

I hear you I bought the panel already assembled fro electric brewing supply for what paid for the panel $1795 I sold my old brutus 10 clone for $1700. adding the 50A service cost be about $800 by a licenced electrition. I repurposed my 2 of my kettles and bought another from Sabco. The other biggest expense was the new stand. I made it out of 80/20 material. I should start a thread on my new build (now finished).

Drew

Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby pclemon » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:48 pm

My current stand is made up of 2x4 studs with some plywood and some propane burner stands. Unfortunately I don't think anyone would give me very much for it. I did see that same panel on homebrewfinds the other day for $1,600. I noticed that it has inputs for temperature probes but no displays for temp. Is the assumption that you'll utilize an ipad with the BCS-460 to view temperatures?
Pete
pclemon

Postby Brewtime » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:16 pm

yes I do use the BCS-460 on my iPad and or desktop via WiFi I know Ryan will build units with PIDS He has both 30A and 50A for around the same pric point as the BCS. He has great customer service I actually have a call set up with him today to help me with programing a brew session and have the BCS run things.
Drew

Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Next

Return to Brewing Sculptures