Recirculation during the Mash Process

Discussion of B3 Brewing Sculptures. How to best use your B3 brewing system, what the options are like, anything to do with the systems.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Recirculation during the Mash Process

Postby Vintage63 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:15 pm

I have been brewing on a 10 gallon tippy dump system for a coupe of years and have always wondered if other brewers recirculate during the entire mash (other than mash out). A pro-brewer lives a few houses away and told me that recirculating during the mash to maintain temp was not recommended because the wort would be travelling through the heat exchanger sitting in water hotter than the target mash temp. For example, if the target mash was 152 and the HLT water temperature was 160 -162, the temperature of the wort being circulated would become higher due to contact in the coil. Therefore, eliminating the 152 target. Does this make sense?

So, I wanted to reach out and get some feedback on what other B3 sculpture brewers are doing during the mash? I definitely haven't found much on the net related to this process.

I have heard a little bit of chatter that people run the recirculation pretty much the entire time and hold the HLT temp about 5 degrees warmer than their target temp?

Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!
Vintage63
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: Recirculation during the Mash Process

Postby pclemon » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:54 am

I don't have a B3 system - but do run a HERMS coil and yes, I run the pump the entire time of the mash. I find that my HLT temp only needs to be about 4 degrees warmer than my desired mash temp. I also monitor the temp of the wort at the output of the recirculation coil and if it's coming out of there at 152 degrees I don't see how someone would believe it heats up to the temp of the HLT while it's passing through the coil.

If, in your example, want to mash at 152 degrees and you undershoot your temp and hit 145 degrees so you goose your HLT to 165 so that the wort is flowing back into the top at 160 until the mash gets up to temp... yes, I agree that you're likely denaturing some enzymes.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:07 am

I have my probe in the MT itself and in stead of the any outputs. I only need to keep my HLT 3-4 degrees higher than my MT to maaintain temp.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:40 am

If you have the ability to recirculate mash throughout the entire process I would, whether you have HERMS or RIMS, do it. You will get crystal clear wort at sparge, you will make better beer overall. As Pete said you must be close to strike temps so you wont denature the desired sugars at the wrong time.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Return to Brewing Sculptures