Digital Flat Frame Conversion to Natural Gas

Discussion of B3 Brewing Sculptures. How to best use your B3 brewing system, what the options are like, anything to do with the systems.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Digital Flat Frame Conversion to Natural Gas

Postby nowrenwiest » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:17 pm

I am not a DIYer. I bought the MoreBeer digital flat-frame system for propane a few years ago and just converted to natural gas in connection with a new house build. MoreBeer provided a conversion kit with three new NG burners (the 90,000 low-pressure jet burners) and I had a gas plumber install and connect to my house line. They used a 1/2" pipe; no regulator (and MB didn't include a regulator with the kit). The flames were out of control--very large/high and bright orange; lots of soot on bottom of pot; flames licking up around the pot. Gas technician came out and initial assessment was that not enough gas was getting to the system; call to MB said pipe in to system should be 3/4". Different gas technician (used by my home builder) came out and installed a regulator on the line to the system; he said he thought enough gas was getting to the system and the pipe didn't need to be changed. The two left burners are better, but I still don't think they're working like they should--I can adjust the valve to get a smaller blue flame, but when opened all the way up, I have the same problem as before. But the HLT burner attached to the pilot is still messed up and I won't be able to use it unless it get fixed. I can't seem to find a gas technician that understands the system or what to do and MoreBeer customer service has not been helpful--I'm still waiting for a call back on the last issue. I didn't have these problems with propane, and have never used these NG burners before, so don't know how they should be operating (e.g., should I be able to have the valve all the way open?) Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Very frustrating. Thanks in advance.
nowrenwiest
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: Digital Flat Frame Conversion to Natural Gas

Postby pclemon » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:26 am

I'm not a plumber but what you're describing to me sounds like the first assessment - that there isn't enough gas getting to the burners when you open them up big. This should also be evident if you light all the burners at once. For example, light just one and turn it all the way up, is there a problem? Back it down to where it's got a blue flame and then light up another burner, did anything happen to the flame on the first one?

Also - if these are banjo burners, there's supposed to be an adjustable damper where the gas hose connects to the burner. If these aren't adjusted properly you can end up with an improper air/fuel mix and a yellow sooty flame.

MB tried to be helpful to you by saying you should have a 3/4" line - you're going to call them back and tell them you still have the issue and the first thing they're going to ask you is if you put in a 3/4" line.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby nowrenwiest » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:31 am

pclemon wrote:I'm not a plumber but what you're describing to me sounds like the first assessment - that there isn't enough gas getting to the burners when you open them up big. This should also be evident if you light all the burners at once. For example, light just one and turn it all the way up, is there a problem? Back it down to where it's got a blue flame and then light up another burner, did anything happen to the flame on the first one?

Also - if these are banjo burners, there's supposed to be an adjustable damper where the gas hose connects to the burner. If these aren't adjusted properly you can end up with an improper air/fuel mix and a yellow sooty flame.

MB tried to be helpful to you by saying you should have a 3/4" line - you're going to call them back and tell them you still have the issue and the first thing they're going to ask you is if you put in a 3/4" line.

----- Thanks for the reply. I suspect you are correct; these aren't banjo burners, they are the low-pressure jet burners, so no adjustable damper or regulator. Since I have a certified plumber telling me something different about the size of the line and the proper supply, it's a bit frustrating.
nowrenwiest
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby MullerBrau » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:28 am

I run NG to my 25 gallon system and it works fine. I suspect that your burners may be too big. A few years ago, I upgraded one of my burners to a 20 tip and had problems with yellow flame, sooting and CO gas in the garage. I went back to the 10 tip and all is well again. FYI - I plumbed 1/2" black pipe 50+ feet from the opposite side of the house and with several elbows on the way. It also sees the NG dryer and a garage furnace prior to getting to the brew cart.

Here is the burner which was too big. I suspect it needed more gas than I could provide. Notice the yellow in the flame.

https://youtu.be/d828afVQieE
MullerBrau
Barrel (1000 posts)

Return to Brewing Sculptures