What do you ferment your wine in?

Discussion of the hardware for creating wine.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Postby Honeypale » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:02 am

I have a 30 gallon stainless tank and add oak cubes to it. It was modified by B3 and has a racking arm and a gas valve on the top. I use carboys for excess of 30 G's.
Jim Rossi
Honeypale
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby 6liskes » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:22 am

Well, we're not near as fancy as Jim is w/ his 30 gal stainless setup ... but we just got started last year (SEP 03) with a "kit" from B3... we use our 6.5 gal glass carboys, and things work out just fine... on batch #2 now.

Our primary focus is on brew.. but we like the occassional wine too (saves brew inventory!)
6liskes
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby Honeypale » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:22 am

We started off with a carboy too! It just got a little crazy when we started makin' so much every year and I got tired of testing and racking and lifting all those seperate carboys. I have to say, it was definately worth the trouble to have this tank made and it's much easier to have most everything in one container. For small batches, carboys are the way to go though! :D Oh, we just added one more cool item to our system... a wine pump! Now it's way easy to rack.
Jim Rossi
Honeypale
Liter Mug (100 posts)

fermentor

Postby mark886 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:56 pm

Does your tank have a conical bottom? If not, do you rack to a plastic container, clean out the dregs, then rack back to the stainless fermenter?

Mark
Denver, CO
mark886
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: fermentor

Postby Honeypale » Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:47 pm

mark886 wrote:Does your tank have a conical bottom?

Mark
Denver, CO

Hey Mark!

Good question, and no it doesn't, but I'm fortunate enough to have a B3-2050 that happens to have (3) 28 Gallon stainless kettles with lids and valves on them. :D What I do is rack the wine through a pump, at low rpm's to a sanitized, argon purged kettle. I then do what you said, clean out the remaining lees and re-sanitize using a mixture of Meta/Citric Acid in water. Gravity works well for the transfer back to the vessel and it's actually easier than it probably sounds. :lol: I also run the argon slowly as the wine enters both vessels. Check out the "milk container" style fermenter in the new B3 catalog, that's what I have.
Jim Rossi
Honeypale
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Comrade » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:50 pm

Honeypale wrote:
mark886 wrote:Does your tank have a conical bottom?

Mark
Denver, CO

Hey Mark!

Good question, and no it doesn't, but I'm fortunate enough to have a B3-2050 that happens to have (3) 28 Gallon stainless kettles with lids and valves on them. :D What I do is rack the wine through a pump, at low rpm's to a sanitized, argon purged kettle. I then do what you said, clean out the remaining lees and re-sanitize using a mixture of Meta/Citric Acid in water. Gravity works well for the transfer back to the vessel and it's actually easier than it probably sounds. :lol: I also run the argon slowly as the wine enters both vessels. Check out the "milk container" style fermenter in the new B3 catalog, that's what I have.

Are they paying you for those sameless promotions?!
Comrade
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Honeypale » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:06 pm

Are they paying you for those sameless promotions?![/quote]

They ought to be, :D huh! It is a B3 sponsored forum though, right? I only deal with them, so obviously my referals to questions about what I do and use are going to directly reflect B3 products. They happen to be the largest homebrew supply outlet in the world and have always given me exceptional service. :D I am though, just a pleased customer who gives kudos when apropos. 8) Sorry if I offended you my Comrade :wink:
Jim Rossi
Honeypale
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Comrade » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:24 pm

Here's the thing. Homebrewing is just that, HOMEbrewing. I believe in making my own equipment just as much as making my own beer / wine / mead / cider / vinegar / etc...

I do not dispute the quality of their equipment, I'm sure it functions just fine.

I'm simply saying that by allowing someone else to fabricate your equipment, you are missing out on a large portion of the experience.
Join the free homebrew community at http://www.brewcommune.com
Comrade
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Honeypale » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:09 am

Good point! I guess I never looked at it that way. :D But, with that being said, I wouldn't trade in my B3-2050, with it's beautiful polished, Stainless Steel kettles and stand for anything that I could make on my own. I'm an Electrician, but I could never make anything as nice as the equipment that I have bought. I guess I'd also be the guy in the Ferarri or Porsche instead of the guy in the "kitcar". :lol: If you have the means, the time and the talent, by all means... I think it's great. Me, on the other hand, I just have some very cool, purchased equipment, that looks as good as it brews and I'm making some high quality beer and wine from scratch. I did put together the cabinet that holds all of my brewing supplies though! lol
Jim Rossi
Honeypale
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Honeypale » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:03 pm

Comrade wrote:Here's the thing. Homebrewing is just that, HOMEbrewing. I believe in making my own equipment .

Oh, and one more thought Comrade, HOMEbrewing as you say is homeBrewing, not homeEQUIPMENT building. My wife makes HOMEmade food, but she certainly didn't make the Wolf stove she cooks on! :wink: Wait, let me guess... You built the home you live in, the car you drive, and all of your cooking and cooling appliances right?! :lol: We're going to have to "agree to disagree" my friend. No hard feelings though! :D
Jim Rossi
Honeypale
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Question about argon

Postby mark886 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:43 pm

Honeypale: since the SS fermenter you mentioned is a closed-top tank requiring argon, do you have any "learning experiences" you would like to share? Have you refined the amount of argon you add, or the methods you use, etc.? I'm thinking of using "freshly retired" beer kegs with an argon tank to make them variable capacity. :idea:
mark886
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Comrade » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:54 pm

Yes, we will have to agree to disagree.

I don't grow / harvest / malt / toast my own grains, but I do mill them.

I guess draw the line differently than you do.
Comrade
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Dcarlis » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:12 pm

Honeypale,

I was looking at the Stainless steel containers that More Beer has. Do you need an airlock with those?

I am new to winemaking. Is there a point where you can transfer to a closed container (prior to bottling of course).

Thanks.
Dcarlis
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Comrade » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:53 pm

Way to get the topic back on track, Dcarlis.

After a month or two in secondary, I replace the airlocks on my wine carboys with solid stoppers. This is much easier than always babysitting airlocks to make sure there is sanitizer in them...
Comrade
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Honeypale » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:45 pm

Comrade wrote:[

Are they paying you for those sameless promotions?!

You got to love your first post to me Comrade! I'm glad you're pleased that someone put the topic back on track after you derailed us from the start. :lol: Anyway Comrade, I do mill my grains too, but that's not what you were complaining about... Remember, it had to do with "making" equipment, not beer! I have the beer part from scratch well under control. Oh, I even grow and use my own hops too! Now we can properly continue with the topics, and in closing... I guess the moral of this story is...

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. :wink:

"And that's my final answer: :lol:
Last edited by Honeypale on Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jim Rossi
Honeypale
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Next

Return to Wine Equipment