What do you ferment your wine in?

Discussion of the hardware for creating wine.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Re: Question about argon

Postby Honeypale » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:49 pm

[quote="mark886"]Honeypale: since the SS fermenter you mentioned is a closed-top tank requiring argon, do you have any "learning experiences" you would like to share? quote]

Hey Mark!

Actually, I haven't run into any problems. I had a gas valve welded to the lid and I displace with argon just as you would CO2 for beer in a keg. It seems to work well... I do always fill the tank to the top though.
Jim Rossi
Honeypale
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Honeypale » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:57 pm

Dcarlis wrote:Honeypale,

I was looking at the Stainless steel containers that More Beer has. Do you need an airlock with those?

I am new to winemaking. Is there a point where you can transfer to a closed container (prior to bottling of course).

Thanks.

You could use an airlock, but I prefer to utilize the gas fitting I had installed on the lid instead of drilling yet another hole for an airlock. I use a grey gas "out" fitting with a couple of feet of hose and a sanitary air filter on the end. You do need to let gas have a place to go at least in the earlier stages. I also do what Comrade does when I'm in carboys with the solid stoppers. I use saran wrap and a rubber band wrapped on them to make sure they stay in place.
Jim Rossi
Honeypale
Liter Mug (100 posts)

ferment

Postby tjmccoy » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:48 am

I simply use a 10 gallon plastic pail with a lid that is not airtight. It works great for starting the batch. After I hit 1.02 (if memory serves) or so I rack into my 6 gallon carboy with airlock. I can just float the hydromenter in the wine and it is easier than heck to check. I have brewed about 15 batches this way, and have never had any problems.
Last edited by tjmccoy on Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tjmccoy
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Comrade » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:53 am

So you are saying you leave the hydrometer in the carboy all the time?

That's a pretty good idea. Keep it simple, eh?
Join the free homebrew community at http://www.brewcommune.com
Comrade
Liter Mug (100 posts)

hydro

Postby tjmccoy » Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:14 pm

Yes I leave it in the entire time. I even *GENTLY* put it in my 6 gallon carboy with airlock. Long fingers come in handy, but is so nice to know your s.g. at all times. I think it is cleaner too, as you do not open and sample the wine.
tjmccoy
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Beer Kegs

Postby rcsron » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:36 am

:shock: I use Sainless stell beer kegs.. You can find them sometimes at liquor Distributors.. Be careful removing the pickup tubes because they are under pressure.. I just bought 2 for $20 each..
Hampton Vines
Voignier
Chardonnay
Barbera
Zinfandel
rcsron
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby nickp » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:28 am

http://www.physics.arizona.edu/~workman ... Sanke.html

Link above shows how easy it is to remove the spear if you would like to use sanke kegs as fermenters...
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said, "I drank what?"
nickp
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Previous

Return to Wine Equipment