Reflectoquant

Discussion of the hardware for creating wine.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Reflectoquant

Postby nmiyares » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:52 pm

I am thinking of aquiring a reflectoquant. I would like to use it for myself and offer testing services to local wine home winemakers. But I would like to know more before I spend that kind of dough. Any feedback would be appreciated. Which tests are better using the reflectoquant? How precise is it? How easy is it to use? Etc.

Thanks,

Nestor
nmiyares
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby hotrod38 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:06 pm

hotrod38
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby nmiyares » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:05 am

Thanks...
nmiyares
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby StuBrew » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:00 pm

I've looked at the reflectoquant for use at wineries and one of the drawbacks is that is is not durable (not a concern for you probably) and it seems to be limited in what it can analyze that is relevant, at least in a wine cellar... I can see the need for Glucose, Ammonia, Tartaric acid, but all the metal analyses and whatnot seem superfluous. Also, I am skeptical of any "rapid" SO2 analysis as most of them are flawed and probably over-estimate the amount of FSO2. If the price is worth having quick RS/NH3/Tartaric analysis, I think it would be OK.
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
- David Brent
StuBrew
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Return to Wine Equipment