variable volume tank air lock

Discussion of the hardware for creating wine.

Moderator: Moderator Team

variable volume tank air lock

Postby wilseym » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:00 pm

I recently bought a 200 liter variable volume tank. The air lock has a marble in it. I have never seen one like that. Is the marble supposed to move? I haven't noticed any movement, while the air locks on the extra wine in carboys is bubbling away. Any help?

Mike
wilseym
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Postby timn » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:36 am

Mine came with the same air lock it works just fine in letting co2 out but realy sucks in keeping air from getting in. I replaced mine with a more familiar type air lock.
timn
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby tristan » Wed May 23, 2007 3:45 pm

The white plastic airlocks that are provided with any variable volume fermenter are designed only to allow CO2 blow off without allowing dust etc to get back in the tank. They are not designed to function as a long-term barrier to oxygen. For that you want a breathable silicone bung or a traditional solid stopper. For MLF a traditional stopper with a 3-piece airlock works great.
Fermenting: Nada
In ML: 2006 Brehm Vineyards Malbec
In Oak: 2005 Brehm Vineyards Petit Syrah
In the Fridge: VR Cardonnay, Special Changes
Firestone Clone
On Deck: Belgian Pale
Altbier
Commercial Wine Production
tristan

Lost my marbles

Postby MountainWineGuy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:13 am

Hi there -

(I just posted this in another tank question about the marbles)

I have two 400L S/S tanks - and that darned marble thing was completely unreliable - especially if my lid was a smidge cockeyed when I re-inflated above the wine level. So I hacksawed the top part off putting the hacksaw blade against the "exhaust". The large carboy stopper with a fermentation lock in place fits perfectly with a wonderful seal.

I simply remove the stopper to "batonnage" or stirr the lees during MLF and then sparge with CO2 before replacing the fermentation lock/stopper assembly.

Chris

P.S. I am not sure how I will extract the lid when it is 5 feet down that tank and I am standing on a ladder. The rope doesn't tie to anything anymore.
Stuff in the works:
2007 Syrah - 20 Gallons in oak
2007 Lodi OldVine Zin - 90 Gallons
2007 Paso Robles Cabernet Franc - 70 Gallons
MountainWineGuy
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby mi_piace_rosso » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:19 pm

I replaced the marble lock in mine with a breathable silicone bung. I heard there were issues with the marble. So far so good.

Doug
mi_piace_rosso
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to Wine Equipment