Glass or Plastic Carboys

Discussion of the hardware for creating wine.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Glass or Plastic Carboys

Postby DepChief » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:56 pm

I have tried to see if this has been posted before but could not find anything but I see that Beer Beer and More Beer are also selling plastic carboys. My question here is there any noticable differences with using plastic over glass??? Is there any major advantage for glass or would you be able to get through with this plastic??? One reason I am considering plastic is because tonight I just watched my 6 gal glass carboy slip out of my hands and smash, Ouch. :cry:
DepChief
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Postby johnplctech » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:03 am

The plastic is more expensive but if you can't carry one without dropping it then the plastic is for you... Heck I just checked and the plastic is cheaper than the glass at b3 but they are out of stock. I do know that the plastic buckets (different material) will retain the smell of stronger wines like elderberry...

John
johnplctech
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Mark » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:06 am

I don't know that I would want my wine in a plastic carboy for an extended time as I've heard that they are somewhat o2 permiable.
Mark
Mark

Postby johnplctech » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:13 am

I thought the better bottle sales pitch was that it had an O2 barrier in the plastic...

John
johnplctech
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby mwood » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:23 am

Off topic a little, but I have always wondered if you could ferment (beer or wine) in those 5g plastic water jugs. You know the office water cooler type...is that a no no?
mwood
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby BrewBum » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:30 am

no headspace, they are 5gls on the nose, if you did smaller batches you could but they can leak o2.

I would be interested in hearing results of people that have used the better bottle for wine long term storage.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Postby im1dermike » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:39 am

The only other con I've heard about plastic carboys is that when you set them down the plastic compresses momentarily. I heard people complain that they set a plastic carboy down with a fermentation lock in it and when the plastic compressed, it sucked all the liquid from the lock into the carboy. Something to consider maybe...
im1dermike
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby buckeyebrewer » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:59 am

I've been trying to find some compelling reason to use glass and just haven't been convinced. So far all I've gotten is 1) plastic can get some scratches or pick up some odd odors as John was describing. I feel this should be easy to tell if you have going on if you pay any kind of attention. 2) using a blow off tube on a galss carboy has the ability to remove some fusel alcohols in the krausen from the finished beer. Don't know how much of a difference this would make. All that being said, I find plastic significantly easier to deal with than glass.
Corey
buckeyebrewer
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby BrewBum » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:09 am

buckeyebrewer wrote:I've been trying to find some compelling reason to use glass and just haven't been convinced. So far all I've gotten is 1) plastic can get some scratches or pick up some odd odors as John was describing. I feel this should be easy to tell if you have going on if you pay any kind of attention. 2) using a blow off tube on a galss carboy has the ability to remove some fusel alcohols in the krausen from the finished beer. Don't know how much of a difference this would make. All that being said, I find plastic significantly easier to deal with than glass.

Not talking about beer here though, I am a avid bucket user but for long term wine storage I use glass. I would like to know if there is any risk to the wine in plastic.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Postby johnplctech » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:31 am

buckeyebrewer wrote:I've been trying to find some compelling reason to use glass and just haven't been convinced. So far all I've gotten is 1) plastic can get some scratches or pick up some odd odors as John was describing. I feel this should be easy to tell if you have going on if you pay any kind of attention. 2) using a blow off tube on a galss carboy has the ability to remove some fusel alcohols in the krausen from the finished beer. Don't know how much of a difference this would make. All that being said, I find plastic significantly easier to deal with than glass.

Scratches don't worry me at all. My primary wine bucket is scratched all to h**l. While the white buckets pick up the wine and beer smell. I don't think it would have any effect on the next batch. I have used my two bottling buckets for beer and wine primary fermentation for many years with out any problem of odors.

John
johnplctech
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby johnplctech » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:36 am

BrewBum wrote:Not talking about beer here though, I am a avid bucket user but for long term wine storage I use glass. I would like to know if there is any risk to the wine in plastic.

I use 5g glass for my wine after the primary and keep them filled to the top. I don't know what problems you might have so long as the plastic has an O2 barrier in the makeup. I know water bottles won't go to that expense...

John
johnplctech
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby shineman » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:02 am

like john, my plastic primary buckets have been used for years and
are all scratched up and have some odors of past wines. recently got
some 60 gal. plastic barrels that used to have a cleaning solution in
them and they work great. i transfer to glass carboys after a week
or so and finish there. never had any problems except for the time
a 12 gal plastic garbage container split on it's second batch of grape
wine and made a mess all over my spare room.
shineman
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:28 am

johnplctech wrote:I thought the better bottle sales pitch was that it had an O2 barrier in the plastic...

John

You're correct, now that I checked their site I saw that info.

I might start picking some of these up and selling off some glass ones to younger guys that have better backs than mine.
Mark
Mark

Postby johnplctech » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:41 am

Mark wrote:
johnplctech wrote:I thought the better bottle sales pitch was that it had an O2 barrier in the plastic...

John

You're correct, now that I checked their site I saw that info.

I might start picking some of these up and selling off some glass ones to younger guys that have better backs than mine.

With 12 carboys in rotation with wine in them I had to come up with a system the involved minimum movement and lifting. Mine are on carpet and I slide them over to the place where I rack them. Then I just have to pick one up at one spot and place it on the stand to rack. I never have to carry one. Wish that was true for the beer carboys... I even came up with an 8 week rotation for racking so I never have to rack more than two carboys in one week... I bet the plastic ones stack better on their sides when empty...

If I didn't have any carboys I'd be looking at the plastic ones now that the price is the same or lower... I bet shipping is lower too...

John
johnplctech
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby buckeyebrewer » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:00 pm

So if scratches aren't much of a concern, can anyone give me a good reason to wrestle with a glass carboy instead of using plastic? (I'm hoping there isn't one I'd rather use plastic. :D )
Corey
buckeyebrewer
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Next

Return to Wine Equipment