Glass or Plastic Carboys

Discussion of the hardware for creating wine.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Postby BrewBum » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:18 am

If oxygen is truly not a concern, I say go for it. I have always thought about picking some up. I don't like all the contraptions that the better bottle tries to sell with it but it looks like a great alternative.

I will probably go with an un ported version and find a stopper that fits in the top. All the other pieces look to complicated to clean.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Postby deege » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:04 pm

Wow, this topic comes up often. I'm definately in the better bottle camp. I've been using them for a few years now. They are great, just don't go for all the bells and whistles. The plain version is really all you need! I wrote about my experiences with them on my blog if you're interested.
deege
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Going to try an make a cab

Postby Daniel L » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:45 pm

I just purchased a 6 gallon cab kit for b3 the other day and have a question:

Says to ferment in a min 8 gal bucket. I don't have a 8 gallon bucket, can I use 2 - 6.5 gallon buckets with out problem? I know after the primary the carboy must be 6 gallons because of oxygen.
Daniel L
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby King Kon » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:21 am

im1dermike wrote:The only other con I've heard about plastic carboys is that when you set them down the plastic compresses momentarily. I heard people complain that they set a plastic carboy down with a fermentation lock in it and when the plastic compressed, it sucked all the liquid from the lock into the carboy. Something to consider maybe...

You are absolutely correct on this. I had always used a blow-off tube with my BetterBottle, but used a 3-piece airlock for my last batch. Had it attached to a 5 gallon carboy hood. When I went to move it for racking... major suck-back. Luckily, I had vodka in the airlock. I finally decided to uncap the plug on the other carboy hood port, and this was fine... although I imagine it was sucking all sorts of outside air into the carboy when I did this. So... for now on... blow-off tube with my BetterBottle.
Konrad
King Kon
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby BeerPal » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:41 am

Call me old-school, but I like glass and stainless. Plastic is fine, I'm sure, but I don't wanna use it. I haven't feremented in a carboy for a while now, but I did for years and never came close to breaking one. Here's why:

"Make beer not war"

Currently fermenting: Nothing
Conditioning: Firestone Walker Pale 31 clone
On draught: Nothing

Watch episodes of BYOB TV: http://www.kofytv.com/byob-tv/archive/
BeerPal
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby elementX » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:59 pm

you posted that hint elsewhere, and i started using it. Works like a charm!
elementX
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Previous

Return to Wine Equipment