which floor corker to buy??

Discussion of the hardware for creating wine.

Moderator: Moderator Team

which floor corker to buy??

Postby mwood » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:52 pm

I have been corking my wines and meads with a hand corker for a few years now but am looking at making the switch to a floor corker. Does anyone have any suggestions on which one to buy? I've noticed the Portuguese foor corker is about half the price of the Italian one. Is it worth the extra money to have the metal jaws? Also saw the Champagne floor corker, which says it can do any straight cork too. Saw that you can get an adapter for the chanpagne corker to cap beer bottles, which would also come in handy. I'd like to spend as little as possible, but don't want to sacrifice quality for price. Anyone have any insight?
mwood
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby valorian_13 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:48 am

Before I bought a corker I rented both type from the LHBS. The Italian corker IMO is far better. The portuguese corker always leaves deep marks on the top of the cork. I laso have to keep readjusting the depth where I don't need to with the Italian corker. Simply I think the corks look better after it's inserted using the Italian corker.
My Homebrew Website
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage

TAP 1 - Off Kilter ( Wee Heavy )
TAP 2 - English Oaked IPA
Bottled - Wife's Holiday Spice Ale
Primary Fermenter - Copperhead (American Amber Ale using Flying Dog yeast)
Secondary Fermenter -
On Deck - Hefeweizen or Marzen
valorian_13
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby mr.so.brewer » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:38 pm

I have heard of people having problems with NomaCorks walls getting scored/scrached by the metal jaws of the Italian. The neat thing about the Italian is that you can by an attachment for beer bottles too.

Other than that I think they are equal.
mr.so.brewer
Pitcher (300 posts)

Return to Wine Equipment