aerating wine a necessary step?

Discussion of the hardware for creating wine.

Moderator: Moderator Team

aerating wine a necessary step?

Postby teradexterity » Tue May 22, 2007 4:42 pm

Scored a Rioja today at my LHBS and I was going through the directions and Ive seen on a couple posts about the 6.5 gal carboy vs the 6 gal carboy for fermentation and had a couple follow up questions.

1. My understanding is that a 6 gal carboy has an advantage over 6.5 due to the decreased amount of oxygen contact. However, when the wine ferments, does it also produce blow off?

2. Do we need to aerate the wine for fermentation to begin? IE. when I pour it out from the box into my carboy, should I try to splash as much or as little as I can?

3. It says I should make the full 6 gallons however I would like my wine to pack a punch so would it be bad if I made 5.5 gal?

4. and by topping off with CO2, can I just breathe into the top of the carboy instead of using my CO2 can?

=)
Last edited by teradexterity on Tue May 22, 2007 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keg: GCBA Belgian Ale , Pliny the Elder

Primary: Vinnie's Blind Pig IPA
Secondary: Ruination Clone

Coming up: Any suggestions? I was thinking of Denny's Rye IPA...is there a Racer x clone anyone recommends? =D or the Dreadnaught clone they think is pretty on?
teradexterity
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby teradexterity » Tue May 22, 2007 9:23 pm

i was kiddin bout the breathin thing!
lol
Keg: GCBA Belgian Ale , Pliny the Elder

Primary: Vinnie's Blind Pig IPA
Secondary: Ruination Clone

Coming up: Any suggestions? I was thinking of Denny's Rye IPA...is there a Racer x clone anyone recommends? =D or the Dreadnaught clone they think is pretty on?
teradexterity
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby BrewBum » Wed May 23, 2007 6:23 am

1. I usually don't see much of a krausen on primary fermentation but it can happen

2. Aerate the wine before fermentation isn't as necessary as beer because you didn't boil anything. The pouring in and splashing that occurs is all I ever do.

3. You can make the 5.5 gallon batch and be fine, people do that a lot.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Return to Wine Equipment