MoreWine WE273S crusher/destemmer a bit violent

Discussion of the hardware for creating wine.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MoreWine WE273S crusher/destemmer a bit violent

Postby MountainWineGuy » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:06 pm

Hello gang;

I have the MoreWine WE273S crusher/destemmer. This is an incredibly efficient, yet violent piece of equipment. I am able to process about 1000lbs in an hour and change in batches while sorting at the same time.
Y
es, the bigger parts of the stems are indeed ejected. However, there are a gazilion of little stem bits - you know, the little sections that hold onto 7 or 10 berries at a time? I mean I have been manually pulling handfuls of green out of the must at a time.

I have adjusted the rollers best I can to make sure berries are broken. But a zillion bits of green are somewhat undesirable.

Is this normal? Or have I goofed it?

Thanks,

Chris
MountainWineGuy
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Crazy Run Ranch » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:42 am

I have the same crusher and have used others with the same design. They all do about the same job. My old one with metal rollers was a little worse but I still get "jacks" with the W273. Unfortunately, there's a huge jump in cost ($3K) to go with a commercial style machine that destems first, then crushes for gentler handling of the fruit. But there are a couple things I have found that help reduce the number of jacks.

1) Keep the machine constantly fed and turn it off as soon as it empties out. If the destemmer basket isn't full it tends to beat up the stems that are inside instead of ejecting them clean.
2) Bend a piece of stainless screen maybe 10 -12" long and wire it to the outside of the basket covering the last 10"-12" of the basket. Most of the fruit goes thru the first half of the basket. The last section is moving the stems out only. This eliminates the big pile of jacks at the last section of the basket.
3) Watch the output of stems. If you are destemming large cluster fruit like Zin or Petite, it will clog with stems at times. Then it beats them up until the stuck cluster passes. When you constant flow stops, I shut off the machine and reach up in the outlet and pull the bunch of stems through. Then restart. Of course you should be unplug the cord for safety when doing this.

With these practices followed by the dreaded picking out of anything green, I get pretty clean must. Muture clusters do break up easier. So the goods news is that your ripeness is probably good if you are having a jack problem.
Crazy Run Ranch
Crazy Run Ranch
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Thanks for the advice

Postby MountainWineGuy » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:40 am

Hi there! Thanks for the advice. Never called them "jacks" but it makes absolute sense. You are 100% correct that the bulk of the jacks come out on the left-side of the chute.

I did discover that having helpers bringing boxes at a time of fruit that the unit did seem to run smoother.

I will be adding the stainless screen for next harvest.

Thnks again, for the advice!
MountainWineGuy
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to Wine Equipment