Gilda Corker Mods

Discussion of the hardware for creating wine.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Gilda Corker Mods

Postby MDixon » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:45 am

My Gilda hand held iris corker and it has always been a little difficult to use and hold steady. The way it seemed to work best was to putting the wine bottle in a shoe to steady as the cork was inserted.

I was reading about corking Belgian beer bottles and thought of purchasing a floor corker when I came across this page http://www.slobrewer.com/howto/corking-belgians/1/
where the guy uses a "Colonna corker/capper" and looked at purchasing one of those, but the price was nearly 70 bucks and I already have an auto-adjustable capper and my Gilda can supposedly cork champagne bottles.

In thinking about my Gilda it occurred to me that for a few bucks I could make it into a floor corker. Looking through the scrap wood I had some 3/4" oak and oak ply and decided to give it a try. A little hardware and few angle brackets later (~$10 total), and the result works pretty darn well.

Front View (sorry for the grainy picture)

Read View of adjustable hardware

With corker slid in place

Brackets which hold corker

I tried it with a #9 dry cork and it inserted it like a dream. The iris had a hard time compressing it dry (always has), but I generally heat them and that makes them more pliable when corking.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!
MDixon
Barrel (1000 posts)

Re: Gilda Corker Mods

Postby Jrock » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:41 pm

Nice job in making your own floor corker. I have a Portugese floor corker and really like it. Floor corkers are so much easier to use. It looks like your model allows you to adjust for the height of the bottle which will come in handy if you are using recycled bottles.
Jrock
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby MDixon » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:15 am

I tried to find the dimensions of Magnums and Jeroboams but couldn't locate it online so I winged it. For the smallest height setting I used one of those small coke bottles to be sure I could cork nip bottles. The plan for minor dimensional changes is to use coasters under the bottle to fill the gap. The ability to slide the gilda in and out turns out to be good since tilting the bottle when corking Belgian beer bottles would be difficult with cork still protruding up into the iris.
MDixon
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Jrock » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:23 am

I have to make modifications even to my floor corker. For 375 ml bottles I put two small pieces of 2x4 under the bottle; this way I don't have to change the setting when I switch to 750 ml bottles.
Jrock
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby MDixon » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:53 am

A short update on the modified Gilda setup. I have not yet tried it with Belgian corks, but with standard wine bottles the height is best when set with a thin bar coaster under the bottle. Then remove the coaster and cork. We corked ~115 bottles of wine the other day in record time using the modified Gilda.
MDixon
Barrel (1000 posts)

Return to Wine Equipment