Bird netting

Discussion of the hardware for creating wine.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Bird netting

Postby doug_the_brewer » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:06 pm

Hi all,

I have a guy who wants to give me his harvest (about 100 plants) in exchange for a case or so of finished product. He said that last year the birds cleaned out every grape in his vineyard, so he wants to net this year, but doesn't know anything about it. Anyone have any experience with netting? Any recommended suppliers for the home vintner in the SF bay area for bird netting?

-- Doug
-dtb
doug_the_brewer
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: Bird netting

Postby rockyrex » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:51 am

For your information, I have 3 rows of grapes, with 15 plants per row which I net, because otherwise the birds would eat it all. I bought the netting from Home Depot. It takes 6 rolls, 2 per row to cover the grapes. The total cost was ~ $100.00. It takes maybe 30 minutes per row to install and clamp at the bottom with cloth pins. If you do not close at the bottom, birds still seem to find a way. I am in the Sacramento valley.

Hope this helps.
rockyrex
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Postby kak » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:58 pm

Doug,

We're down near Paso and have to net everything from fig trees to table grapes and wine grapes. One year, we lost all of our grapes. We've tried a couple types of netting but had very good luck this year with a green, flexible netting that we got at Farm Supply. It's wide enough and has a center stripe that you put at the top center of your vines and pull it down on either side, very easy to work with. It comes in long, long lengths in a bag to store and was the easiest netting to remove, which is an awful chore, if you've done it. We'll tie it up higher under the vines next year because we caught a couple rattlesnakes by just leaving it staked to the ground. Farm Supply doesn't have locations as far north as SF, but they do have a website and pretty good prices and items that are specifically targeted toward vineyards. Their web address is: http://farmsupplycompany.com/cm/Home.html. Hope this helps!
kak
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby WingStall » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:45 am

I've found a great way to deal with the problem. So far, 17 of the 19 hookers I've killed were wearing fishnet stockings. The '06 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir (667 clone) I made that won Gold and BOS at the Oregon State Fair in '07 was actually fertilized with rotting, dead hookers that I buried in my vineyard between '99 and '01. They were all white, which I thought was interesting because they didn't do well for fertilizing white wine grape vines, but really worked wonders for red wine grape vines. White hookers for white wine is apparently just an urban myth. From my experience, hanging their used, sticky stockings (removed postmortem) around the perimeter of my vineyard has kept the birds at bay, and my crops have been heavenly.
Cheers, Andy
WingStall
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby pclemon » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:36 am

WingStall wrote:I've found a great way to deal with the problem. So far, 17 of the 19 hookers I've killed were wearing fishnet stockings. The '06 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir (667 clone) I made that won Gold and BOS at the Oregon State Fair in '07 was actually fertilized with rotting, dead hookers that I buried in my vineyard between '99 and '01. They were all white, which I thought was interesting because they didn't do well for fertilizing white wine grape vines, but really worked wonders for red wine grape vines. White hookers for white wine is apparently just an urban myth. From my experience, hanging their used, sticky stockings (removed postmortem) around the perimeter of my vineyard has kept the birds at bay, and my crops have been heavenly.

Best advice on the forum in some time Andy. I'm going to give this a try this weekend!
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby jeeper » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:10 pm

IDK. I would think small birds could fit through fishnet
Jeff
jeeper
Barrel (1000 posts)

Return to Wine Equipment