Chemicals...

Discussion on the ingredients for making wine.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Chemicals...

Postby ol » Mon May 31, 2004 8:32 am

Hello

I just got a winemaking recipe book based on fresh fruits and vegetables, and right away I tried a strawberry and dandelion wine. For aging they recommend to put a bit of "Stabilizer" before bottling.
Anybody has any idea of what they are talking about? Would some metabi. work?

Thanks!
ol
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Smulkowski » Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:45 am

Wine stabilizer is potassium sorbate, rather than potassium metabisulfite. It is used to stop fermentation from occuring in the bottle, but will not necessarily stop even a moderately active fermentation.
Smulkowski
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby ol » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:08 am

Do you think I can use polyclar (FIN40 on 3b website) instead of k-sorbate?
ol
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Smulkowski » Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:12 pm

My understanding of Polyclar is that it clarifies, and has some antioxidant properties that help to ameliorate browning and oxidation that might have already happened to your wine. In winemaking it seems to be used after fermentation has ceased to stabilize the wine via antioxidants, rather than stabilizing the wine by stopping future fermentation. It can be used in a preventetive or remedial fashion, so either because you are worried about oxidation, or because you are pretty sure you did oxidize your wine. It seems to me that these two have somewhat different properties, so it would seem like the best bet would be to go with whichever one better suits your need (so k-sorb for stopping light present or future fermentations, or polyclar for preventing oxidation.) Apparently Polyclar is polyvinylpyrollidone which binds oxidized phenols.
Give a man a beer, and he wastes an hour;
Teach a man to brew, and he wastes a lifetime.
-St. Louis Brews
Smulkowski
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Return to Grapes and Extracts