How much juice from the grapes

Discussion on the ingredients for making wine.

Moderator: Moderator Team

How much juice from the grapes

Postby Homegrown Hops » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:08 am

I realize that juice extracted from the grapes is a variable amount, but I need a ballpark figure. I would like to get about 200lbs or more of grapes and am wondering if that will be enough for a decent size batch of wine. Any insight would be appreciated.

HH
Watermelon What?

21st Amendment
Homegrown Hops
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby StuBrew » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:46 pm

Your juice yield is dependant on how you press the grapes/must. For something like whole-cluster whites in a small basket press you should expect about 120-140 gal per ton (12-14 gal per 200#). With red must. if you do a long drain (overnight) and then press the must you can end up with 150-160 gal per ton. One thing that can improve your press yields in any case is to put rice hulls in the press to maintain juice channels for the wine or juice to run out of. No matter how hard you squeeze sometimes the grapes slime over each other and block juice runoff (particularly a problem with destemmed whites and reds that have either had a long maceration or had a pectolytic enzyme addition to improve extraction.)
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
- David Brent
StuBrew
Liter Mug (100 posts)

yield from pressed grapes

Postby Fred Jensen » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:42 pm

I have always gone on the 10% rule as a ballpark. By that rule 200 # could yield as much as 20 gal. Sometimes with some grape varieties you can expect a bit less, but I have never got less than 1 gallon of juice from ten pounds of grapes.Last year I had about 15 # of French Columbard grapes from the yard and actulally got 10 quarts of juice from the press.
As a former Beekeeper I have a real soft spot in my heart for Honeybees, Honey, and all this that are related. Like Honey, nature provided us with Beer and Wine, we had but to discover it.
Fred Jensen
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: How much juice from the grapes

Postby lodiwino » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:47 pm

1 Ton should get you, with minimal effort, 2 Barrels (120 Gal) - 1000lbs - 1 Barrel (60 Gal) A safe bet is plan on a 40% loss, you'll usually end up with enough left over for some topping up. But it kind of depends, some people only want 'free run' - Others press by hand or by bladder press. Ultimately, your grapes/wine make up will determine wether or not you go light, heavy or no press
lodiwino
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby ensmeyer » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:06 pm

We did 5 different batches last week, 108lbs each of Riesling, Gewurtraminer, Pinot Noir, Cab Franc, and Petit Sirah. Our net juice/wine in order 6.5, 6, 7.5, 7, 8 gals. All were pressed using a bladder press.

-Eric
Eric & Sue Meyer
Mid Hudson Valley NY
2008 Fruit Wines: Strawberry, Blueberry, Raspberry, Blackberry, Red Currant, Peach, Pear.
2008 Grape Wines: Carmenere, Malbec, Pinot Grigio, Riesling, Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Franc, Petit Sirah
ensmeyer
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Postby vino de v » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:57 pm

so if you are processing 1 ton of grapes how much must does that = to? This volume is based on the quantity of yeast I need to add. 1 gram per gallon.

To expand on this question, what blader press would one recommend to process 1 ton of grapes at a time?

thanks
vino de v
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Return to Grapes and Extracts