Does anyone here grow their own grapes?

Discussion on the ingredients for making wine.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Does anyone here grow their own grapes?

Postby bo_gator » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:51 pm

I recently attended a meeting here about how to grow grapes for commericial production and was curious as to how many here grow their own grapes for wine making :?:

Primary taking a break
secondary Black & blueberry cream ale, B3 Dubbel, apple cider
Bottled Pilsner, Southern Highland Brown ale, coals minner's diarrhea stout, Ancestors Scottish ale, Honey Wheat Peach Vanilla ale, Cullasaja Pale Ale, Raped Ape red ale
Usually in error, but alwats sounding like I know what I am talking about

Home Brew’s curmudgeon at large

http://www.bogatorbrewing.com
bo_gator
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby wicket » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:30 am

I grow my own grapes, but they are backyard varieties - Concord, Niagara, Fredonia - all Lambruscas. Didn't think much about making wine when I planted them, I just wanted grapes. I am now venturing forth into the realm of winemaking, and learning how to make American grapes into drinkable (even good tasting) wine. My only comment about them is that they have been very easy to grow and maintain. I've had them for 15 years and have had no problems. I even transplanted one - and they say you can't do it - and it looks like it will come around.

PRIMARY - none, SECONDARY - none, TERTIARY - 8 cases of recently bottled Browns, Reds and California Common.
wicket
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:48 pm

I have a Scuppernong vine that I started from a cutting from another vine of my Dad's about 6 years ago. It is now about 30 feet long and running on two lines. I prune it back every February; but otherwise it takes no attention whatsoever and produces a lot of grapes. I do not make any wine from it though. I too have been thinking about starting a few other varieties.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
Kegged: Brown Ale, Sweet Stout, Vienna Lager, Pale Ale
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Alhambra Hieghts » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:32 am

I have about 35 Cabernet Franc here in Martinez, CA. I harvested them last week, with about 20 lbs of Montepulciano. The Monte has never done very well. I think I'm going to yank it out and find something else to grow.
Alhambra Hieghts
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Return to Grapes and Extracts