Order my first wine kit

Discussion on the ingredients for making wine.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Order my first wine kit

Postby WillySixGun » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:56 am

I just ordered my first juice kit, Selections - Australian Cab/Shiraz. Got two 6 gallon glass carboys too, seems there is alot of racking and topping involve in wine making.

I've wanted to do this for a while but the long aging process for wine has kept me from starting. The sooner I start, the sooner I will have a mature red in my hand.

Later, Willy
Perfection is not necessary, good is good enough.
WillySixGun
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby BrewBum » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:49 am

It is incredibly simple but it takes a long time to be good. I have enjoyed nearly everyone I have made, the time sucks. Once you have a build up of wine it doesn't matter but if you have a gap of aging it will kill you. That is what I am doing right now. I had a gap of about 10 months now, should be rolling into a wine soon that is ready, then I should have wine for about 3 years as I have been stockpiling for a while.

Enjoy it, fun, easy but requires patience.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Postby tookalisten » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:50 am

I just started a few months ago as well and have made the Shiraz, Sauvignon Blanc and have a Merlot fermenting now. I was surprised at how easy the kits are to do; but I agree - I am itching to pop open a cork to try it out! I hope to hold out until at least Thanksgiving.
I may consider putting some of my next batch in a few 12 oz beer bottles and capping as "tasters" to monitor the progress as it ages.
My next thought is to try one of the Island Mist kits and consider kegging and carbonating for something different.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
Kegged: Brown Ale, Porter, Sweet Stout, IPA, Amber, Citra Pale Ale, Blonde Ale
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby BrewBum » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:11 am

I agree, I am going to bottle a few in 12oz bottles too for the same reason. It sucks to open a whole bottle to find out that it is too hot still.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Postby Otis The Drunk » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:12 pm

Yeah I have been thinking about going into wines, but I think it will have to wait until I buy some more carboys.

That way I can make beer to tide me over until the wine is done.
Otis The Drunk
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby WillySixGun » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:05 pm

Got the kit and the carboys today. Going to mix it up this weekend.
I think I will get a bottle of Cab/Shizaz from the store and drink it during the preparations. Willy
WillySixGun
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby Mark » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:14 pm

I know the directions say to top up the wine with water but I don't recommend that. I either top up with a similar wine or make sure I've purged the carboy with ample CO2 and then rack. That way you're not diluting your wine. Also, it's best to let it bulk age at least 6months in the carboy prior to bottling. I wait a year but with this being your first there's no way you'll wait that long. Just know that it won't be ready in "28 days".
Mark
Mark

Postby rjwhite6 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:53 pm

Right on the mark, Mark.
Ron

Primary: B3 Octoberfest, B3 Mild Brown, B3 Pale Ale II
Lagering: B3 Munich Helles
On Tap: Great Fermentations VIPA, B3 Irish Red Ale, B3 Best Bitter
rjwhite6
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby WillySixGun » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:22 pm

Mark, thanks for the advice.
I am a little worried about this process. I see too many parallels to starter brewing kits. Parcel hydration, dry yeast and over assurance of success from the kits instructions. I know not to worry from my experience with beer. All the beer I have made from kits is good, but significant improvements can be made with some simple additions or alterations.

I appreciate your advice, there is an abundance of it in beer brewing but a little lacking in wine making. The difference is a beer kit cost $25 and a wine kit cost $95. I love beer and wine. I would like to be able to make a good version of both.

Willy
WillySixGun
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby Backglass » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:27 pm

Compared to brewing, kit wine making is a walk in the park. They have already done all the hard work adjusting the juice. You just mix it up, add yeast and go.
Barry - NY

"A brewer is YOU!"

--------

On Tap: Jamil's Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Gnome Rootbeer, Hard Lemonade, Schwartzbier
Conditioning: Rogue I2PA
Fermenting: ---
Starter: ---
Backglass
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Mark » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:38 pm

Willy,

You'll do fine. If you have a refractometer that really helps determine when it's time to rack for the first time. I think it's 5-7 days or when the SG gets just below 1.010.

I typically throw away whatever clarifier they include in the kit because I like a product called Super Kleer much better.

Get a Fizz-x or some other mixer that you can put on a drill. It makes mixing the wine to start and degassing much easier. I don't know how I got along without one.
Mark
Mark

Postby WillySixGun » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:06 pm

I ordered a B3 de-gasser whip and some additional Potassioum Meta Bisulphite. I also got a large primary, I'm holding off until these items come in.

While I am waiting, I am researching the web and I bought three bottles of different Cab/Shizaz wines. Research is fun.

Willy
WillySixGun
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby WillySixGun » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:51 am

Must is in the primary. I was happy with the process. The juice tasted really good.
The kit came with about 4oz of oak, half toasted. The Must will be in contact with to oak while in the primary, 7-14 days. Is this enough?

Thanks, Willy

YellowDog's web site really helped, http://yellowdogbrewery.com/wine.aspx
WillySixGun
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby Mark » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:04 am

You can taste it when you rack it the second time and see if it's oaky enough for you. If not you can always add some additional cubes to the carboy while it sits. I've been wanting to try the Staves myself. I don't think I've ever personally been happy with the amount of oak that I've gotten from the kit as is and always added additional. 1-2 oz of medium toast french oak cubes and let them sit for 4-6 months.
Mark
Mark

Next

Return to Grapes and Extracts