Vinters Reserve Kit

Discussion on the ingredients for making wine.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Vinters Reserve Kit

Postby Kreyzhorse » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:38 am

Hi - I'm getting ready to make my second batch of wine using a Vinters Reserve Chardonney kit. My first batch turned out pretty good but has a pretty light body. The kit makes a 6 gallon batch and I'm thinking of cutting back the volume to 5 gallons to see if it improves the body. Has any one had any experience with this in the past?

Thanks,

Scott
"Too much is just enough."
Kreyzhorse
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Mark » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:52 am

With wine kits you really get what you pay for. Given that you get ~30 bottles from a batch I would consider a higher quality kit, either from B3 or another source. There are kits that are 15-16 liters of juice that turn out much better. I currently have a batch of French Merlot going that I made some mods to that is doing very well thus far.

Look at the Selection or Estate series that B3 has. I've heard the estate chardoney is excellent. But if you already have the kit go ahead and make it but shoot for the higher end of the OG. I think cutting out a whole gallon is a bit extreme. You should also consider adding more oak to it and extend the aging to 6months. I'm not sure which oak is best for this wine but a google search would give you some ideas.

Another tip is too never top up with water, always use a bottle or three of the type of wine your making. I have a 6gal carboy and had to add three $6 bottles of Merlot to top it up. Once you have a few batches in bottles this isn't such a problem.

Mark
Mark

Postby Kreyzhorse » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:13 am

Another tip is too never top up with water, always use a bottle or three of the type of wine your making. I have a 6gal carboy and had to add three $6 bottles of Merlot to top it up. Once you have a few batches in bottles this isn't such a problem.

Yes - I've looked at the Estate series and I'm sure that they will lend themselves to a much better wine. I'm also sure that when I switch from the Vinters Reserve kits to the Estate kits, I'll never go back. That's why I was curious if monkeying with the Reserve kit would give a slightly better product, if I don't do try it now, I never will.

I think topping off with a couple of bottles of wine is a great idea. I think I'll try making a 5.5 gallon batch and use your top off trick. Makes me wonder why I never thought of that!

Thanks for the info.

Scott
Kreyzhorse
Taster Glass (2 posts)

update

Postby Kreyzhorse » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:10 pm

Just started a Vinters Reserve Chardonnay kit and bit the bullet and went with 5 gallons instead of 6. When I top off, it will be more like 5.2 gallons or so. Will keep everyone updated on the results if anyone had the same issues I did with my first batch.

Scott
Kreyzhorse
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to Grapes and Extracts