Wine Sampling

Discussion on the ingredients for making wine.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Wine Sampling

Postby Grainguy » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:01 pm

I have just finished bottling my first batch of wine; a cab/merlot blend. The process went without a hitch (it appears). After bottling I had some leftover wine, and as I do with my homebrew, I sampled the leftovers. While you can get a pretty good idea of what a home brewed beer tastes like at this stage, I am wondering how much more evolution the wine goes through after bottling. Barrel samples of wine normally taste quite different from the finished product. I was a bit disappointed in my sampling, as it tasted slightly sweeter than I was expecting. Not seriously sweet as to raise an alarm, but a bit sweeter than I would prefer. Do I have an unfounded worry, or will the sample I tasted pretty much be what the final product will taste like?
Grainguy
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby BrewBum » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:34 am

It will taste very little like the sample unless it has already aged a long time. It matures greatly over months and years. Usually, early tastings taste a little warm, green apply and acidic. It blends and smooths and rounds out over time. I am not sure if it will get dryer though. What was your final gravity? Was it percieved sweetness or actually sweetness?
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Wine Sampling

Postby Grainguy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:16 pm

Thank you very much for the reply. Your description of what I should be tasting and what I actually tasted are pretty similiar. Ther sweetness may have been percieved, and I most certainly tasted the bite of the acidity. I'll bet that my wine will turn out just fine based upon your comments. Thanks for the wisdom!
Grainguy
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to Grapes and Extracts