Wine Sampling

Discussion on the ingredients for making wine.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Grainguy
Taster Glass (2 posts)
Wine Sampling

Post by Grainguy » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:01 pm

I have just finished bottling my first batch of wine; a cab/merlot blend. The process went without a hitch (it appears). After bottling I had some leftover wine, and as I do with my homebrew, I sampled the leftovers. While you can get a pretty good idea of what a home brewed beer tastes like at this stage, I am wondering how much more evolution the wine goes through after bottling. Barrel samples of wine normally taste quite different from the finished product. I was a bit disappointed in my sampling, as it tasted slightly sweeter than I was expecting. Not seriously sweet as to raise an alarm, but a bit sweeter than I would prefer. Do I have an unfounded worry, or will the sample I tasted pretty much be what the final product will taste like?

BrewBum

Post by BrewBum » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:34 am

It will taste very little like the sample unless it has already aged a long time. It matures greatly over months and years. Usually, early tastings taste a little warm, green apply and acidic. It blends and smooths and rounds out over time. I am not sure if it will get dryer though. What was your final gravity? Was it percieved sweetness or actually sweetness?
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com

Grainguy
Taster Glass (2 posts)
Wine Sampling

Post by Grainguy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:16 pm

Thank you very much for the reply. Your description of what I should be tasting and what I actually tasted are pretty similiar. Ther sweetness may have been percieved, and I most certainly tasted the bite of the acidity. I'll bet that my wine will turn out just fine based upon your comments. Thanks for the wisdom!