Does Anybody Grow Their Own Grapes?

Discussion on the ingredients for making wine.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Does Anybody Grow Their Own Grapes?

Postby Triple Freak » Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:43 am

Just curious as to how hard it is to grow your own.
Triple Freak

Postby Comrade » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:41 am

I just got second year bud break on my Syrah C grafted on 140RU.

I got the vine here: Tablas Creek Vineyards

I am really just growing it for fun, I only have one vine, and I live in a condo. Perhaps some day I will have a bit of land and I can plant cuttings from this vine...
Join the free homebrew community at http://www.brewcommune.com
Comrade
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Triple Freak » Wed May 05, 2004 5:28 am

Can you eat those grapes, or are they for wine only?
I want to plant some Concord grapes or Muscats. My grandad had Muscats, and those big ole golf ball sized grapes were delicious, despite having tons of seeds in them. He made some damned tasty Muscat wine too.
Triple Freak

Postby Comrade » Wed May 05, 2004 8:58 am

I have eaten quite a few wine grapes, they are really sweet and tasty, simliar to the Muscat you may remember.

Muscat is a very interesting grape, lambruscia, quite a bit larger, and quite a bit sweeter than most wine grapes of the vineferia variety.
Join the free homebrew community at http://www.brewcommune.com
Comrade
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Dcarlis » Wed May 05, 2004 8:59 am

Grape vines are pretty hardy, but there are some tricks to getting decent sized grapes off them. There are some sprays they use to increase the berry size, pruning techniques, removing some of the clusters to promote the others to a larger size etc

I couldn't find anything right away but there might be some internet sites on it. Maybe UC Davis.
Dcarlis
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Homegrown Hops » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:34 pm

The spray that you are refering to is Gibberellic acid ( a plant growth regulator) that is often erroneously called a plant hormone. It is used on Thompson seedless grapes commercially to increase fruit size. It occurs naturally in most vascular plant species and can increase yield by 30% in Thompson varieties. I havent heard of it being used on wine grapes though. Most vineayards drop about half of the fruit on their vines to increase the brix in the remaining grapes not to increase the size. You can also girdle the vine near the end of the season to increase the brix levels of the grapes. If you decide to use it on your vines for your personal use then I say go for it. Above all make sure any residues that may remain are not harmful to you. Good luck.

HH
Watermelon What?

21st Amendment
Homegrown Hops
Pitcher (300 posts)

growing grapes

Postby billjd72 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:55 pm

I planted grapes 2 years ago, and propagated some of the cuttings i took this spring to fill in the rows. I will have 1 row each of concord, seedless 2 varieties, de chaunac, frontenac, frontenac gris, La crescent, baco noir, vignoles, and rosette. These are suited for nebraska climate. I found it is alot of work training and pruning the last two years. Next year I will get my first crop and will have to start a fungicide program. I would like to make some wine myself and sell grapes to a winery about 30 miles away from me if i can.

Bill
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin
billjd72
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Hokey Alias » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:23 pm

Freak, whereabouts are you at? I've grown several different varieties of grapes since the mid-80's.
Hokey Alias
Pitcher (300 posts)

Return to Grapes and Extracts