Planting a Vine

Discussion on the ingredients for making wine.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Planting a Vine

Postby imlne » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:24 pm

I have some space in my back yard and i want to plant a grape vine. Does any one have any knowledge where to start.
Do I buy wooden or metal staffs to mount in the ground? If so, is there a specific wire to run between the staffs/polls.
What about the distance between the polls.
How many vines could I use? Is there a general rule of thumb on how far apart one plants the vines?

Thanks guys, always good ideas.
Pete
imlne
6 Pack (200 posts)

Re: Planting a Vine

Postby beertron » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:35 pm

http://morewinemaking.com/view_product/15853/102635/Growing_Wine_Grapes
http://morewinemaking.com/view_product/15854/102635/Vineyard_Simple

i have never grown grapes but if i were to, i would purchase one of these before i got started.
let there be beer

Tap #1 - Blueberry Biere de Garde
Tap #2 - Biere de Garde
Tap #3 - Foreign Extra Stout
Tap #4 - American Pale Ale
Tap #5 - Traditional Bock
Bottled: Oaked Barleywine, Brown Porter, Belgian Pale Ale
Carbonating: Chai Spiced Weizenbock
Conditioning: German Pils
Fermenting:
Brewing: American Barleywine (12-17-12)
beertron
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby imlne » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:36 pm

good call about getting knowledge before diving in. This probably make better wine.
Pete
imlne
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:58 am

I have a single vine that I planted about 8 yrs ago from a cutting. It is now covering about 20 ft and covers 2 lines. It would be longer but I prune it now to keep it this size.
I used two 4x4 posts initially about 8 ft apart with 2 lengths of heavy gauge aluminum wire (so as to not rust) stretched between the 2 posts. The wire is spaced about 3 ft apart. Plant the vine at the base of one of the posts and train it down the wire. You can then expand outward as far as you want to. I now have 4 posts from adding on. You will have new shoots/growth to come up at the base that will allow you to train in the opposite direction down the other lengths of line that you add.
As for other wire options, the plastic coated clothesline wire works well too.

I prune mine back pretty aggressively to the main vine in Feb each year as you will get a huge amount of growth each year. They are easy to grow, plus you can make cool wreaths from the vine prunings each year.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
Kegged: Brown Ale, Sweet Stout, Vienna Lager, Pale Ale
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby imlne » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:40 am

tookalisten wrote:I have a single vine that I planted about 8 yrs ago from a cutting. It is now covering about 20 ft and covers 2 lines. It would be longer but I prune it now to keep it this size.
I used two 4x4 posts initially about 8 ft apart with 2 lengths of heavy gauge aluminum wire (so as to not rust) stretched between the 2 posts. The wire is spaced about 3 ft apart. Plant the vine at the base of one of the posts and train it down the wire.

Tookalisten, do you have one vine planted in the earth, or do you have one per post?
Pete
imlne
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:09 pm

I started with only one vine trained down one line. From this single plant, I allowed "shoots" of new growth that came up around it in the next year to grow and train down the remaining lines.

You can take new growth, bend to the ground and cover with soil/mulch, and then the following winter cut and dig up for a new vine to plant elsewhere as well. This is how I got my original cutting from my Dad's vine.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
Kegged: Brown Ale, Sweet Stout, Vienna Lager, Pale Ale
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby alieen » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:14 pm

I used two 4x4 posts initially about 8 ft apart with 2 lengths of heavy gauge aluminum wire (so as to not rust) stretched between the 2 posts. The wire is spaced about 3 ft apart. Plant the vine at the base of one of the posts and train it down the wire. You can then expand outward as far as you want to. I now have 4 posts from adding on. You will have new shoots/growth to come up at the base that will allow you to train in the opposite direction down the other lengths of line that you add.
You can try out our 220-801 exam and latest pass 4 sure to get high flying success in final stanford.edu and pittstate exams.
alieen
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Return to Grapes and Extracts