black currant juice

Discussion on the ingredients for making wine.

Moderator: Moderator Team

black currant juice

Postby Willy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:37 pm

Hey folks,
I'm a beer maker...but my girlfriend just started making wine. She has a side job that landed her 10 gallons of black currant juice. Any suggestions on how to make wine from this juice? We are novice winemakers. Thanks.
You don't slow down because you get old,
You get old because you slow down!!!
Willy
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: black currant juice

Postby feffer » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:16 pm

A good place to learn is Jack Keller's wine-making site. He has a lot of info about "country wines," or wine made from anything other than grapes. Here are his black current recipes. Your gf should not just follow these recipes though. First read more about the process (also on Keller's site). Then she may need to adjust the juice or "must" (wine equivalent of wort) before starting fermentation. IE, specific gravity by adding sugar, or acid or other things. Winemaking is similar in some respects to beer making, but pretty different in others, so your beer experience may (or may not) apply.

When I experiment with a new juice or fruit, I sometimes make a few variations with one gallon jugs. Wine takes a lot longer to develop than beer, but you should be able to see early on if one of the jugs shows promise. There are a lot of other forums and info about wine making, but the Keller site is a good starting point. Good luck.
feffer
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Re: black currant juice

Postby swirusek » Mon May 11, 2015 3:09 am

hmm. 10 gallons is a lot for first time. For me hardest think is to mask bitternes from the juice. And important is that you need minimum about 3-4 months.
swirusek
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to Grapes and Extracts