Need some advice...

Fermented honey and all its varieties.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Need some advice...

Postby Mr Peat » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:22 pm

Well...I am looking for some advice. I started a mead back 2004. I transfered it a few times since there so there is no yeast cake on the bottom. Crystal clear as well. Ok, so its a slight yellowish color. Its ready to bottle IMHO. So how would one go about back sweetening this Mead? It was just a traditional mead so nothing fancy. Do I need to add some more honey and then ensure it doesnt referment or after this long that shouldnt be an issue. Just let me know cuz I want to bottle it in July. It doesnt have to be carbonated but a little pressure in the bottle I wouldnt turn down.

Thanks for the input in advance.
Mr Peat
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:47 am

Mr. Peat,

What you need to do is stir in some Sorbate-K. This will prevent any renewed fermentation by whatever yeast is left. You could also hit it with some potassium metabisulfite as well. I like to rack and stir in these two things and then let it sit a couple week. Then when I bottle I add my honey which has been mixed with an equal volume of boiling water to thin it out so it will mix well along with another half dose of sorbate-K.

I do this all the time with my Purple Panty Remover, a raspberry melomel that's 5-6% alcohol that I ferment using EC-1118. Never had any carbonation problems.
Mark
Mark

Postby Mr Peat » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:01 pm

Thats what I was expecting Mark. Thanks for the advice. I've sampled the Mead and was shocked to how good it is considering how long it has sat in the carboy.
Mr Peat
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:03 pm

Bulk aging is best. I made 12gal of orange blossom mead back in Sept. of 2004 and bottled half last november and the other half is still in the carboy and will remain there at least another 12 months before it gets bottled.
Mark
Mark

Re: Need some advice...

Postby Mark » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:32 pm

Funny that I found this post while doing a search because I just found this remaining carboy of mead in a spare closet last week. Been sitting under a blanket of CO2 with Saran wrap and a carboy cap on it for almost seven years. Should be interesting to see how this is. I'm a little scared :-)

Mark
Mark

Postby tookalisten » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:58 pm

Hey,
Welcome back Mark!
And the added plus of bringing back a Mr Peat thread. I had wondered what happened to both of you!
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: Blonde Ale
Kegged: Brown Ale, Porter, Sweet Stout, IPA, Amber, Citra Pale Ale
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Billy Klubb » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:03 am

well, don't leave us in the dark man!
There is a difference between Pride and Arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Primary:Wiezenbock
sec/bulk age:Bad Blood soured imperial stout
bottled:ABW, Hellhound Ale (BDS w/ horehound),Eddie's Haunted Porter
kegged:dark lager
ready to drink:Strawberry Chardonnay, Big '10, sour brown, Citra APA
Billy Klubb
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:48 am

I'll give it a go when I get home from the beach and give an update. I've never had a mead sit this long.

Mark
Mark

Return to Mead