Need some assistance

Fermented honey and all its varieties.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Need some assistance

Postby gr8nhbrewer » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:35 am

Hey everyone, I am trying to work out %'s for TTB label approval, and something isn't making sense to me. It doesn't seem that volume is what I want a percent of or weight. The bulk of the fermentables is from honey.

55 gallon batch

10 gallons honey (80 Brix)
3.3 G. Black Currant Juice (12 Brix)
3.3 G. Black Cherry Juice (12 Brix)
3.3 G. Blueberry Juice (12 Brix)
35 G. Water

Is it that I sum up the brix, then figure out the percent from that?

Example:
Honey 70%
Black Currant 10%
Blueberry 10%
Black Cherry 10%

Thanks
founder/mead maker
Moonlight Meadery LLC
gr8nhbrewer
Barrel (1000 posts)

Re: Need some assistance

Postby gr8nhbrewer » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:41 am

All set.

Here's a tip for anyone who follows, when putting together your formula for the TTB, use percentages:

70% Wild Flower Honey
10% Black Currant Juice
10% Black Cherry Juice
10% Blueberry Juice

Water

yeast, and nutrients
OG:
FG:
ABV: %

Leave yield blank

For process:

Dilute honey and juice mixture with water to reach OG.

For Wine Classification, this is important, if your mead is over 14% it's for it's class "Other than Standard Wine", and (while I haven't tested this theory), "Honey Fruit Wine" as the type.
founder/mead maker
Moonlight Meadery LLC
gr8nhbrewer
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Billy Klubb » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:47 pm

where have you been hiding?
There is a difference between Pride and Arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Primary:Wiezenbock
sec/bulk age:Bad Blood soured imperial stout
bottled:ABW, Hellhound Ale (BDS w/ horehound),Eddie's Haunted Porter
kegged:dark lager
ready to drink:Strawberry Chardonnay, Big '10, sour brown, Citra APA
Billy Klubb
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby gr8nhbrewer » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:54 pm

To quote The Fools, "It's a sad sad story...", seriously I am in a great place! So to quote another Fools song, "I am having the time of my life"... (sorry, likely many of you have never even heard of The Fools, a great Boston Band from the early 80's that are still touring this area, seen them twice over the past 4 months).

Missed being able to find time to hang/chat with you all. The readers digest version, divorced, lost my job, started a company, got a new job promotion now a COO, started the winery, working 3 jobs now (two for my self), have a girl friend, filmed a demo tape for a production company (doing a show on homebrewers). Label approved, product should hit the streets in next couple weeks.

I have capacity for 600 gallons in my former garage, now winery, aka. Moonlight Meadery LLC. If I can sell out this year (400 gallons), then I hope to either line up investors, or a loan to make it my full time position.

Super small batches, of exceptional "mead" like character, we aren't going to make wine like meads!
founder/mead maker
Moonlight Meadery LLC
gr8nhbrewer
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby pclemon » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:09 am

And of it going to be making it down to Boston? I know Sunset Bar & Grill in Brookline usually has at least a few meads on their menu.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby saboor » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:30 am

I've seen the Costco honey -- extremely cheap, but it's probably not as good as local honey. Still, in Costco vs Walmart, Costco wins hands down for their prices and the great way they treat their employees, none of that minimum-wage-no-union stuff.
saboor
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Postby pclemon » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:48 am

saboor wrote:I've seen the Costco honey -- extremely cheap, but it's probably not as good as local honey. Still, in Costco vs Walmart, Costco wins hands down for their prices and the great way they treat their employees, none of that minimum-wage-no-union stuff.

I love the no union stuff - but hey, that's just me.

The difference typically between Costco honey and local honey is that the Costco is going to be a blend of from various apiaries. Your local honey is likely to be a single variety honey that allows you to select it for specific properties.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Return to Mead