How old is to old?

Fermented honey and all its varieties.

Moderator: Moderator Team

How old is to old?

Postby VanHlebar » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:16 pm

I have a vanilla meth that I brewed and bottled probably around 10yrs ago. Yea I am not sure how all of it has lasted this long either, most likely because of out two house moves and I just forgot about it. It has been sitting in my garage all these years inside the EZ-flip type bottles. So the question is, does anyone think this mead is still any good? I think I will put a bottle in the fridge and see how it tastes but thought I would see what the collective thought about it here. :)

-Eric
On tap: Van's Maple Pale Ale, Van's Irish Red

Primary Fermenter: B3's Honey Pale Ale

All Grain Batches: 24
VanHlebar
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Re: How old is to old?

Postby rookie » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:52 pm

VanHlebar wrote:I have a vanilla meth that I brewed and bottled probably around 10yrs ago. Yea I am not sure how all of it has lasted this long either, most likely because of out two house moves and I just forgot about it. It has been sitting in my garage all these years inside the EZ-flip type bottles. So the question is, does anyone think this mead is still any good? I think I will put a bottle in the fridge and see how it tastes but thought I would see what the collective thought about it here. :)

-Eric

Maybe, maybe not. How high a % is it? Something at 15% will hold up better than something at 6%. Chill it and try a small sip.
Steve,
"I'm a man, but I can change; if I have to, I guess"
The man's prayer from the Red Green show on PBS>
rookie
Keg (750 posts)

Postby VanHlebar » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:58 pm

Yea I chilled it and tried a SIP last night. It was nasty. :) it tasted very buttery and had a ton of sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Not sure how the alcohol content is as I can't find the logs it is so old. :)

-Eric
On tap: Van's Maple Pale Ale, Van's Irish Red

Primary Fermenter: B3's Honey Pale Ale

All Grain Batches: 24
VanHlebar
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby rookie » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:08 am

VanHlebar wrote:Yea I chilled it and tried a SIP last night. It was nasty. :) it tasted very buttery and had a ton of sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Not sure how the alcohol content is as I can't find the logs it is so old. :)

-Eric

Bummer. Ah well these things happen, at least you didn't toss it without finding out for sure.
Steve,
"I'm a man, but I can change; if I have to, I guess"
The man's prayer from the Red Green show on PBS>
rookie
Keg (750 posts)

Return to Mead