I need a cranberry mead recipe

Fermented honey and all its varieties.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Re: I need a cranberry mead recipe

Postby hwasone » Tue May 17, 2011 5:07 am

turbo_ale wrote:
usmcruz wrote:
turbo_ale wrote:WLP720 liquid yeast, use two.

Does this ferment out leaving residual sweetness?

Yes

Careful. Honey being, like, REALLY fermentable and all, any yeast you use will eventually go until a) complete consumption of sugars, or b) alcohol poisoning. So use enough honey and have some patience.

IME, "done" meads can wind up drier and bubbly after a couple more months if you don't kill the yeast.
Jason
hwasone
Barrel (1000 posts)

Re: Re: I need a cranberry mead recipe

Postby usmcruz » Tue May 17, 2011 8:57 am

fossilsrocks wrote: Everyone's tastes are different, but I am genuinely surprised that you have the opposite take on honey flavors than I do. You have a champagne level taste in honey!

Great im a born honey snob! :-)
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby usmcruz » Tue May 17, 2011 9:09 am

If this mead goes dry which im sure it will im gonna sorbate it and back sweeten with some honey.

Question, i found a juice in the commisary called "just cranberry" which is straight cranberry juice nothing added. Would this be better than using cranberries?
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Tue May 17, 2011 10:18 am

hwasone wrote:Careful. Honey being, like, REALLY fermentable and all, any yeast you use will eventually go until a) complete consumption of sugars, or b) alcohol poisoning. So use enough honey and have some patience.

The WLP720 says to use 1 tube per 5 gals of mead. Using two like many do for beer does not crossover to meads ?
I have a mead going right now, only used 1 tube of the WLP720, but I only used 6 lbs of honey and 3 lbs of Blue Agave syrup, 9 lbs total sugars. My ferment seems very slow, average temp 70F, but this is my first mead, I have nothing to compare to.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Previous

Return to Mead