I need a cranberry mead recipe

Fermented honey and all its varieties.

Moderator: Moderator Team

I need a cranberry mead recipe

Postby usmcruz » Sat May 14, 2011 6:19 am

I just bought 14 pounds of orange blossom honey, and the wife wants me to make a cranberry mead. I looked in all the mead books that I have, and they all have conflicting recipes (different amounts of honey) for a sweet mead with cranberries which is what Im shooting. Ive made made mead in the past, but it was on the drier side. Anyone have a good recipe, they would like to share?
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Re: I need a cranberry mead recipe

Postby hwasone » Sat May 14, 2011 7:09 am

usmcruz wrote:I just bought 14 pounds of orange blossom honey, and the wife wants me to make a cranberry mead. I looked in all the mead books that I have, and they all have conflicting recipes (different amounts of honey) for a sweet mead with cranberries which is what Im shooting. Ive made made mead in the past, but it was on the drier side. Anyone have a good recipe, they would like to share?

Check BYO/Zymurgy back issues. One of the clubs from MSP area had a number of strong mead makers giving good recipe advice. I've made a couple batches, and even when they finish sweet, they dry out over time. I suggest letting fermentation go to completion, then hitting the mead with sulfites before backsweetening to get it where you want it.

...ps, busting my tokyo fermentation cherry tomorrow with a ginger mead (or maybe braggot)
Jason
hwasone
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Sat May 14, 2011 2:11 pm

WLP720 liquid yeast, use two.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby usmcruz » Sat May 14, 2011 7:19 pm

turbo_ale wrote:WLP720 liquid yeast, use two.

Does this ferment out leaving residual sweetness?
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby usmcruz » Sat May 14, 2011 7:30 pm

Hey Gr8hnbrewer, where you at brother! :)
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Sun May 15, 2011 7:18 am

Cruz -
go over to the Gotmead.com forum; they have a recipe section and have a few cranberry mead recipes posted.
One of their Admins - Oskaar - used to post here some; maybe drop him an email too.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: Pale Ale
Kegged: Brown Ale, Sweet Stout, IPA, Blonde Ale, Vienna Lager
tookalisten

Postby usmcruz » Sun May 15, 2011 12:06 pm

tookalisten wrote:Cruz -
go over to the Gotmead.com forum; they have a recipe section and have a few cranberry mead recipes posted.
One of their Admins - Oskaar - used to post here some; maybe drop him an email too.

Yeah, I registered over on the gotmead website, and was trying to get the "trusted" recipe for a orange blossom mead, and it said I had to pay the $25 annual fee to view it. I dont need a mead recipe that bad! :) . I went with 18 pounds of honey, and two packets of 71B-1122. I couldnt get my hands on that WLP-720.
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Sun May 15, 2011 2:52 pm

I used to visit that site quite often; but have not been there in a long time. I could not remember my log-in; but you are right, there is now a patron fee to get the details.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: Pale Ale
Kegged: Brown Ale, Sweet Stout, IPA, Blonde Ale, Vienna Lager
tookalisten

Postby usmcruz » Sun May 15, 2011 7:10 pm

Looks like my mead has taken off, and in about 4 weeks I will add the cranberries. Question though, how much cranberries should I add to a 5 gallon batch. Is two pounds too much?
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Sun May 15, 2011 9:13 pm

usmcruz wrote:
turbo_ale wrote:WLP720 liquid yeast, use two.

Does this ferment out leaving residual sweetness?

Yes
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Postby fossilsrocks » Mon May 16, 2011 3:39 am

Cruz, I just have to ask: Why would you make a cranberry mead out of orange blossom honey? I'm concerned that the orange blossom character will be overwhelmed by the cranberries.
Scott

You should go fishing; it is good for the soul. Have you ever heard of a single Nazi who liked to fish? You can't trust people who don't fish. We need to teach our House & Senate members to fish. Those who don't want to should be used for bait.
fossilsrocks

Re: Re: I need a cranberry mead recipe

Postby usmcruz » Mon May 16, 2011 5:56 am

fossilsrocks wrote:Cruz, I just have to ask: Why would you make a cranberry mead out of orange blossom honey? I'm concerned that the orange blossom character will be overwhelmed by the cranberries.

All the recipes i looked at used orange blossom. Clover and wildflower had too strong of a flavor and didnt seem it would.of jived with the a cranberry flavor added to it later. Orange blossom seemed light enough that whatever fruit added to it would shine through. Plus these honeys were the only ones available to me locally.
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby fossilsrocks » Mon May 16, 2011 8:13 am

Orange blossom honey has a distinct & very pleasant character. It generally costs considerably more than clover or wildflower honey. I think most would consider clover and wildflower honey to be more neutrally flavored than orange blossom honey. I wouldn't worry about whether the cranberries will be able to "Shine through" any of these honey types. Having said all that, I think it'll work just fine; I just wonder if a more neutral honey would have been a better choice.
Scott

You should go fishing; it is good for the soul. Have you ever heard of a single Nazi who liked to fish? You can't trust people who don't fish. We need to teach our House & Senate members to fish. Those who don't want to should be used for bait.
fossilsrocks

Postby usmcruz » Mon May 16, 2011 11:23 am

fossilsrocks wrote:Or I think most would consider clover and wildflower honey to be more neutrally flavored than orange blossom honey.

Now correct me if Im wrong, but in my mind when I think "neutral" I think of a more delicate honey like orange blossom, not clover or wildflower which has a more pungent taste and aroma. What do you mean when you say neutral? Is neutral a honey that when it ferments out becomes pretty mild? I would think a strong tasting honey flavor would transfer over into the finished product.
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby fossilsrocks » Tue May 17, 2011 3:54 am

Wild flower & clover honey are what most of us think of as classic honey flavor. They are certainly the most common, and are likely what we grew up with. Single source varietal honey types like orange blossom, raspberry blossom, etc... are much more expensive & rare; and I think of them as having distinct, specific, and somewhat unusual characters. Everyone's tastes are different, but I am genuinely surprised that you have the opposite take on honey flavors than I do. You have a champagne level taste in honey!
Scott

fossilsrocks

Next

Return to Mead